What is my next step?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jmirra3
Rookie
Rookie

What is my next step?

Post by jmirra3 »

The earliest information that I have on my paternal great great grandfather Rafael Mirra is that he was born in Castellammare di Stabia, Campania, Italy on 29 Sep 1860.

He Emigrated from Italy to the USA on 13 Dec 1887 via the ship 'Chandernagor' that left from the part of Naples. His passenger list said that his place of origin is Partellamane, Italy.

What is my next step to finding emmegration records, birth records and other family information on Rafael? (parents, siblings, etc...)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Mirra
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What is my next step?

Post by jwazevedo »

Jim,

This is exactly where I started with my GF. Have you sent a request to the comune of Castellammare di Stabia for your GGGF's birth record? That will give you info about his parents. If the FHL has films for that town, you can go through birth records to find siblings. A search of immigration records for people with your last name could point to possible relatives that immigrated. Subsequent US records for your GGGF, such as draft reg cards, naturalization records, census, could fill in blanks or confirm what you know. Now the fun begins. Good luck.

Best,
Jerry
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

You can also go to the Family Search website and search for yourself. They have the records for Castellammare di Stabia.

https://www.familysearch.org/

Scroll down and go to "browse by location"
Select "Europe"
Scroll down to "Italy, Napoli Province Municipal Records" and select
Scroll down to "browse through images" and select
Page comes up with towns and select Castellammare di Stabia

You can select morte/nati/marriage/military, whatever you choose.

Then you go through the indexes for the years pertinent to you. They are alphabetical.

Good luck!

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
jmirra3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jmirra3 »

thank you - Jim
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi Jim. Had been wandering through the indexes for Castellammare di Stabia and found the birth record informaiton for Raffaele Mirra.

He is the son of Francesco and Carolina Vanacore. The birth date for Raffaele is different than you have. It shows he was born 19 Jun 1864 record no. 603. This is not surprising to me since I have many family members who had the same problem give or take a year or so from what they had given for their birthdays.

On the other hand, I went back to 1858 thru 1875 to check for him and found other siblings.

If you would like I can post the birth record later if you would like. Hope this all works out.

lilbees

P.S. As you can see I am not watching "the game".
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
jmirra3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jmirra3 »

lilbees that would be great. thank you very much
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Here you go Jim. This may be a possible for Raffaele.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq32 ... th1864.jpg

You can copy this to your computer.

lilbees
jmirra3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jmirra3 »

lilbees, Thank you for your help. I am going to say this Raffaele is the one that matches the ship manifest that I have, but I am starting to think that it is not my gg grandfather. I searched the family search website images and cannot find the birth records for any of his children, and no marriage record for him and his wife. I also looked for birth record of his wife and that is not there either. I remember my grandfather telling me that his family came from Calabria and Abruzzo.

Is there any resource for finding a list of all communes for each region, that you know of?

Thank you,

Jim
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Jim,

http://www.nonsolocap.it/

Click the region in "CAP per regione e per provincia" and then click each province to see each comune. You'll find contact info there as well.

Good luck,
Jerry