Atti di Nascita translation help and HUGE THANKS PINK67!!!!!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dangli
Rookie
Rookie

Atti di Nascita translation help and HUGE THANKS PINK67!!!!!

Post by dangli »

Based on Pink67s great find for my family, we've located a birth certificate for a relative with the hopes of leading us more in the direction of of my great great grandmothers family. The record doesn't say anything about a father and I'm having a bit of trouble with the translation. Can someone help with what comes after "Carmela Lisbona di anni diciotto" and what comes after "posta in via Pobraccelli(?) al numero due, dalla???????????"

Can someone take a stab at it?

Also, what used to happen in a situation with no father presented?
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Atti di Nascita translation help and HUGE THANKS PINK67!

Post by maestra36 »

Eighteen year old Carmela Lisbona appeared before the official of the town of Avigliano to report that at 3 a.m. on the 22nd of the current month (you've cut off the top of the document, so I don't know what month that is), in the house at #2 via Petraccelli (not sure of the spelling of the street name), was born a baby of feminine sex whom she was presenting and to whom was given the name Mariantonia. The infant had been born from her union with a single man who was neither a relative nor a kin in any degree that would obstruct recognition of the child.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The infant was given the mother's maiden name as its surname. The father did not come forward to be recognized as the infant's father. He may have been a member of the clergy, a nobleman, etc.

I meant to add that it says that she was a casalingua (housewife) and that she was a resident in Avigliano, but then it says she was living in San Fele (San Fele borders on Avigliano, as far as I know).

Peg
thestark

Post by thestark »

Also, what used to happen in a situation with no father presented?
Not sure exactly what your question is. Do you mean if the father of the child is unknown?

The fathers of both my great, great grandpa and great great grandma were absent at the time of birth and presentation. Here is a very, very rough translation (I don't actually know Italian, I just work a lot with languages) as taken from the Birth Extract of my great great grandpa:

>> widow Lenzini ?at? year 70, midwife residing in Fiumablo who witnessed/assisted the childbirth below in absence of the father <<

and as taken from the Birth Extract of my great great grandma:

>> The father of the baby wasn't present because he was absent from the Municipality. <<
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

This is not the case of a father who was away from the town at the time of the birth and therefore could not make the announcement of the birth and presentation of the infant at the town hall. This is a case where the father did not come forward to recognize that the child was his. This child was born out of wedlock-from a natural union. The mother and father were not married. But he was in no way related to the mother, nor was he in any way a kin of hers (like a cousin). So those reasons did not prevent him from recognizing himself as the baby's father. She was only 18 and he may have also been very young. For whatever reason, he did not want to take responsibility for the baby. He got this girl pregnant and basically walked away from the entire situation and left her on her own.