Vinci/Glorioso from Cefalu

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ephaller

Vinci/Glorioso from Cefalu

Post by ephaller »

I have been researching my family tree, and I am looking for some information. Both of my great grandparents, Pietro Vinci (1871-1939) and Anna Glorioso (1881-1955) immigrated from Cefalu to Baltimore at the turn of the century. I recented found that Pietro's parents were Guiseppe Vinci and Anna Testa. Anna's parents (I think) were named Guiseppe Glorioso and Marsiglia Concetta. If anyone has any information, or ideas for help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Vinci/Glorioso from Cefalu

Post by VaDeb »

I was going to check for the available records for Cefalu, but could not find a place by this name in the location database on this site. Are you sure of the town? What province is it in?

Have you found the passenger record for your ancestors?

Have you found the families on the available US Census reports?

Debboe
ephaller

Post by ephaller »

I have found when Anna GLorioso came over.....and it says that her town was Cefalu. I cannot 100% verify Pietro date (he was here before her). there are many Peitro Vinci's in the family, and they came to Baltimore around the same time.

I have found them in the US census report as well.

The town in in Palemero area of Sicily. I wish there were some databased available online that might give some information such as birth/death/marriage dates.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Italian geography is not my best subject. Perhaps someone will recognize the correct spelling of the town. If you post the manifest that you found the town name on it might help.

All records in Italy are kept in the town they occured in, thus you have to correctly identify your ancestors village to research vital records. Alot of records from Sicily have been microfilmed by the LDS church and are available from your local family history center. Costs about $3.00 a roll. If the town can be identified we can check for availability of records.

Try the location database available on the main menu on the left. Perhaps you will recognize a place.

Debbie
ephaller

Post by ephaller »

They have the town here, but there are sections and hamlets that I have no clue about. I have looked online through the LDS website, is there quite a bit more information at the local family center?
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ephaller wrote:I have been researching my family tree, and I am looking for some information. Both of my great grandparents, Pietro Vinci (1871-1939) and Anna Glorioso (1881-1955) immigrated from Cefalu to Baltimore at the turn of the century. I recented found that Pietro's parents were Guiseppe Vinci and Anna Testa. Anna's parents (I think) were named Guiseppe Glorioso and Marsiglia Concetta. If anyone has any information, or ideas for help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi There,

The town you are seeking is as follows:
Cefalù, Palermo, Sicily, Italy

The Family History Center doesn't have any microfilm for the town, however, I did find a few links for information about the town.

http://www.comune.cefalu.pa.it/ie4.htm

http://www.palermoweb.com/cefalu/

I suggest you write to the town itself requesting the Birth Acts of your ancestors. The link below is a letter translator you can use.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Also, do you have the death certificates from the USA on your ancestors? A death certificate could prove who their parents are.

Do you have Pietro's Naturalization papers? How about any census records? Census records will narrow down when they came to the USA, how long a person was married, and tons of other information is on them.

I hope this helps.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
NooAwlins

Post by NooAwlins »

My ancestors are also from Cefalu. The LDS does have extensive films of the civil records from 1820 to 1910 (with a few gaps). You should be able to find your ancestors if you look.

I have one Glorioso in my tree: Prospera Glorioso born about 1789, married about 1813 Maestro Francesco Vizzini. These are my 3 Greats Grandparents. Since it's so far back, I don't have any other information on them. Eventually, I hope to locate their death records which should at least tell me their parents' names.

I also have an extensive list of Marsiglia ancestors. By the way, the name is "Concetta Marsiglia", not the other way around. I have two Concetta Marsiglias in my data both born in 1862: one to Guiseppe and Isabella Pirajno and the other born to Paolo and Rosaria Di Paola.

This is all I have although I'm actively researching Cefalu and find more stuff every week. If I find anything more on your lines, I'll let you know.

You can get access to these films yourself by visiting your local Family History Center. If you would like me to do it for you, contact me directly at steve_Vizzini@msn.com.

Good luck.
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

LDS Film#1964474 Year 1871 Item#56
Vinci, Pietro Father: Giuseppe Vinci fu Salvatore
Mother: Testa, Anna

Brother:
1964474 1868 17 Vinci, Giuseppe Giuseppe Vinci fu Salvatore Testa, Anna