Italian American but not entitled...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mzingari

Italian American but not entitled...

Post by mzingari »

Hi Everyone,

All 4 of my grandparents were born in Italy and emigrated to the US in the early 1900s yet it appears that I do not qualify for Italian citizenship as my grandfathers were both naturalized before my parents' birth and my grandmothers were both born before 1948.

My questions:

Does anyone know how strict the consulates are (I'm in NYC) with recognizing citizenship in cases such as mine where the Italian link is undeniable but the legal requirements are not met?

Does anyone have experience 'taking on the system' in cases like mine for instance by using the services of an attorney - and if so with what success?

Thanks in advance, any and all help / advice would be greatly appreciated.
Toscana

Re: Italian American but not entitled...

Post by Toscana »

This is what I understand: If your father was born after 1948 and his mother was not naturalized before his birth, she was able to pass on her citizenship to your father, who then passes it to you. You should check out the various websites to gain absolute clarity. I recommend the consulate webiste, and www.myitaliancitizenship.com

They are very strict with these requirements, from what I can tell. Good luck.
Toscana
Jacqueline

Re: Italian American but not entitled...

Post by Jacqueline »

Regarding Dual Citizenship: I had assumed that I could claim dual through my grandfather as my Dad was naturalized before I was born. I was at the NYC consulate last spring and was told I did not qualify as the chain was broken...

Jacqueline