Fasanello / DiSanto = Brick Wall

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Fasanello / DiSanto = Brick Wall

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Hello again, everyone! After several months of dealing with living-family crises, I finally have time to return to my search. I had hoped fresh eyes would reveal some obvious clue I had missed before; alas, I find myself still baffled.

Here's what I have on this family:

Cesare DiSanto (sometimes DiSanti) and Vincenza Fasanello (1871-1947) had a daughter, Margherita DiSanti/o in New York in 1891. Family stories tell us that Cesare died "when Margherita was very young."

By 1897, Vincenza had remarried to Dominicantonio Leone (b. 1871, Craco d. ?) This was a second marriage for both of them, but I have none of the marriage records. I do have the 1900, 1905 (Manhattan), 1910, and 1920 census records for Dominick and Vincenza.

I also have Margherita's marriage license (Manhattan, 03 Dec 1905) to Costantino Pisano that lists her parents, as well as her stepfather and an uncle, Giovanni DiSanto.

What I cannot locate:
1. Passenger lists or border crossings for Cesare or Vincenza
2. Marriage records for Cesare & Vincenza OR Dominicantonio & Vincenza
3. Death record for Cesare
4. Any clue regarding the village in Italy where Cesare and/or Vincenza might have been from.

Thoughts? Ideas? Help!!
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Fasanello / DiSanto = Brick Wall

Post by pink67 »

1. Passenger lists or border crossings for Cesare or Vincenza
Hi, do you believe it could have been their first arrival in the U.S.?

From Ancestry.com:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Cerared Santo
Name: Cerared Santo[Cesare Di Santo]
Arrival Date: 18 Nov 1891
Birth Year: abt 1868
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Italy
Port of Departure: Marseilles, France and Naples, Italy
Destination: New York,United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Massilia
Search Ship Database: Search the Massilia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Cesare Di Santo, age 23 married was travelling with his wife Vincenza (no maiden name is listed) and little son Giuseppe age 11 months..

Laura
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Laura, I have considered that manifest; when I look it, though, I see Vincenza's maiden name as "Maglia" and her son Guiseppe's last name as Figlio...
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Because "Moglie" is for "Wife" and "Figlio" is for "son"... I believe it's correct for them... :D

Laura

Edit to add...

maybe the first son Giuseppe Di Santo died:

Santo Joseph 2 y Feb 7 1892 4769 Manhattan S530 :?:
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Aha! See, this not speaking Italian thing is a problem!

So, this is a possibility, then. We have Vincenza's date of birth as October, 1891, but that could be off.

I will order that death certificate for young Joseph.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Debi, don't know if you hae this record...

1905 New York state census from Familysearch.org, image here:

https://www.familysearch.org/s/image/sh ... u8TUc%253D

Laura
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Laura, thank you, yes, that record I do have.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Actually, in reviewing my documentation on Margherita, on her SS Application, she gave her date of birth as 10-10-1892, which makes this November 1891 arrival most possible.

Laura, I really cannot thank you enough. This feels like a real break-through for me!
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

I'm happy that I was able to help you... unfortunately being an early arrival manifest it doens't give the correct place of origin.... :(

Have you researched Cesare's brother Giovanni Di Santo?

Laura
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

I have looked for him, and found a few possibilities, but without an approximate age or location, I haven't had much luck with him either. The only reference to him that I have is on Margherita's marriage license; and it's such an anomaly: he, along with the bride's mother and step-father are listed as witnesses and their relationship to the bride is noted; I've never seen that before on a NYC license.

Another striking thing about that license is that they lied about her age. She is listed on the marriage license as being 16 in 1905...this age does not agree with ANY other record we have for her. In 1910, she took her first child to Italy to visit/meet her in-laws; on that manifest she gives her age as 17. On her SS application, she lists her DOB as 10-10-1892. Census records confirm a birth date in the 1891/1892 range. Perhaps it was not legal to marry off a 13 year-old?
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Laura - young Giuseppe's death certificate arrived today. He IS Cesare and Vincenza's child, but - unfortunately - his place of birth (as well as Cesare's & Vincenza's) is listed only as Italy.

There is an address, 73 Mott Street, that I did not have, so that's something new.

Does anyone know what sort of records are available for Calvary Cemetery in Queens?

Any thoughts about where to look next are most welcome...
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Thanks, Micheal; those burials are much to late to be this family.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Hello again, many years later!

An update on this family, as I have found SOME info and am still looking for the rest. :)

Cesare DiSanto and Vincenza Fasanella (1863-1947) were married in San Fele, 31 OCT 1888. They had a son, Guiseppe in 1889, and emigrated to NYC in 1891. Their daughter Margherita DiSanto was born in New York in 1892;
sadly, her brother died that same year. Family stories tell us that Cesare died "when Margherita was very young."

By 1900, Vincenza had remarried to Dominicantonio Leone (b. 1871, Craco d. ?) This was the second marriage for both of them; Domenico married Rosa Mastronardi in Craco (Matera) in 1891. Rosa died in February of 1899 in NYC. Sometime between 02/1899 and 06/1900, Dominick and Vincenza married. I have the 1900, 1905 (Manhattan), 1910, 1915 (Manhatten) and 1920 census records for Dominick and Vincenza.

I also have Margherita DiSanto's marriage license (Manhattan, 03 Dec 1905) to Costantino Pisano that lists her parents, as well as her stepfather and an uncle, Giovanni DiSanto.

What I still have not located:
1. Death record for Cesare (when the son Guiseppe DiSanto died, the NYC death certificate listed his name as Joseph Santo so I have been trying as many variants of the last name as possible)
2. Marriage records for Dominicantonio Leone & Vincenza Fasanello DiSanto

And, given the discovery of the 1899 death date for Rosa Mastronardi Leone, I am now uncertain as to the parentage of what we have always assumed to be the oldest child of Dominick and Vincenza. Andrea (later knon as Andy/Andrew/Andrew Joseph) Leone was born in August of 1897 in NYC. So he's either the son of Dominck's first marriage...or Vincenza's first marriage...but not of their marriage.