Finding relatives from Prizzi

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Finding relatives from Prizzi

Post by Kaylie »

I am attempting to build my husband's family tree. His father's family lived in the small town of Prizzi (provincia Palermo). My father-in-law and his brother were the only family members to have emigrated to the US and I have limited information on their dates of arrrival to the US. What I am trying to find is my husband's grandfather and those before him. I have tried Ancestry.com; however, they have no information on Sicily. Can anyone lead me in the right direction in order that I can build my husband's family tree. Also interested in getting information on relatives born in Riposto (provincia Catania) who are part of my family tree.
Thank you
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Finding relatives from Prizzi

Post by eyetalgal »

the church records for Prizzi are online at:

https://www.familysearch.org/s/image/sh ... PRagg%253D
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaylie »

Thanks for the information on Prizzi. :D I've looked through the FAQ's and videos on how to use this site; however I am a bit confused. At the moment I've started looking at baptisimal records and I understand that father and mother are listed and then name of son or daughter; what I don't understand is the number that is listed after the entry. Can you shed some light on this? Also, do you believe that these are all the records for Prizzi or would there be some that are not recorded. I seem to have found my husband's grandparents 2x with two female children; however, I did not find my husband's father. Any suggestions? Thanks once again for sending me the site.
Kaylie
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

I think the number you're talking about is the one in the index next to the name. That number would be the page number that is part of the original..HOWEVER, it is not the image number you're wanting to look at.

From what I've seen...the books were scanned from the opening page of the book, which is usually a title page, followed by the index, then the actual records. So, the title page would be image #1, index of inividuals names beginning with A would be image #2 etc.,etc. Once you get to the actual records the page in the image is numbered. That's what you're looking for.

I hope this makes sense.
Kaylie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaylie »

Thanks for the tips!! I understand now that the index is in front and that the number at the end of the line is is the page I will find the actual baptisimal record on. Thankfully I have some knowledge of the Italian language so I can decipher some of the Latin; it is not easy finding translation of words from Latin to English and the priests who wrote the baptisimal records had extremely bad penmanship. Near the end of this book of baptism records the priests finally had a "fill in the blanks" form and even though it was still in Latin it becomes an easier task to translate.

Again thanks for the tips and if you think of anything else that would help I would certainly appreciate hearing from you. :D