Looking for Page 2 of a manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vanscan

Looking for Page 2 of a manifest

Post by vanscan »

Hello,
I am hoping someone can help me locate page 2 of a ship manifest from Ancestry.com. It appears the pages were scanned one on top of the other...only the 1st page of the manifest is visible.

The person I am looking for is Saverio Iaccino. Arrival date is 27 July 1925, New York. Born in Italy in 1893 and his residence is showing as West Virginia, The ships name was the Conte Verde.

Thanks.
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Re: Looking for Page 2 of a manifest

Post by Joannsalvo »

Hi,
On ancestry there are 2 manifests for the person you are looking for.
Try the manifest for the arrival on April 13, 1928.
There is a page 2.

Good Luck,
Joann
vanscan

Post by vanscan »

Hi Joann and thanks for your reply.

I already have the details of his April 13, 1928 manifest which places Saverio in New York.

My interest in seeing page 2 of the July 27, 1925 manifest is because I want to see who he was going to visit in West Virginia, the address he had listed as his residence, and who he left behind in Italy.

Thanks.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Van, I have scrolled through that entire manifest and cannot locate the second page. How frustrating!
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

A couple of comments:

1) This issue has come up before and it was learned that even the National Archives had access only to the same microfilm. The original documents have either been destroyed or are in one of those great big warehouses never to be found again.

2) The underlying sheet is in fact the second half of the manifest. If you look carefully at the column just to the right of the top sheet's edge, you see the word "Yes". This column heading is "Whether ever before in the United States and, if so, when and where" The first of three columns is then "Yes or No", the seond and third are "If Yes, Year or Period of years" and "Where". The point being, it seems clear that Saverio arrived in the US on an earlier voyage and thus he wasn't going to visit someone in West Virginia; he already resided in West Virginia, just as he says on the first page. I would spend some time looking for an earlier manifest and/or a 1920 census...

3) The person left behind in Italy appears in column 12 of the first page - his wife Rosina, in Dipignano.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Don't know if you have seen this info:
SIAS Code IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1885.Volume number 208, document number 38 page 14 section b
Saverio Iaccino, contadino enlisted on --/--/----
born on 08/08/1883 to DIPIGNANO
son/daughter of Carmine Iaccino and of Rosa Ammirante

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces (register for free account)
The Registro/Liste di Leva is a list of all males born in the comune who will turn 18 during the year in question. As they present themeselves (or fail to present themselves) for possible military conscription, their entry in the list is updated. Besides info on possible military service, the liste provides us the subject's date of birth and parent's names.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

It appears that Saverio had an older brother:
SIAS Code IT-ASCS-F680258
Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1878.Volume number 152,
document number 70 page 120 section a
Arcangelo Iaccino, contadino enlisted on 15/07/1898
born on 02/03/1878 to DIPIGNANO
son/daughter of Carmine Iaccino and of Rosa Ammirante
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I shouldn't do this stuff at 3:00 AM. :)

I just noticed that the Saverio listed above was born 10 years earlier than your Saverio. But, I am suspicious... With a relatively small number of Iaccino's in Dipignano, this strikes me as odd and causes me to wonder if Saverio lied about his age when entering the US.

Do you have any other information as to Saverio's parent's names?
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

In 1928 manifest, Saverio says his final destination is 28 Pine Street, New Rochelle.

See #24 Pine Street here:

Could this "Natle" (Nathaniel on another document), aged 51 in 1930, be Arcangelo, born March 2, 1878? Borther? Cousin? Uncle?
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

1920 New ROchelle census:

Carmine

vanscan

Post by vanscan »

Hi Carmine

Thanks for the info but I don't believe the Saverio you found (b-1883) is the guy I'm looking for, for the following reasons:

- I have located 4 manifests for Saverio and he never lied about his age...all 4 manifests give him a birth year of 1892/1893.

- The earliest manifest I have shows Saverio and his father Santo traveling together to New York...arrival date is June 6, 1910. Saverio was 18 years old at the time which would give him a birth year of 1892. He also states his mother's name was Rachele which I know to be correct.

- Saverios fathers name was Santo Giuseppe (not Carmine), although I do believe Carmine may have been Santo's brother. I haven't found the link that connects them but I am working on it.

I am very happy :) to say that you did uncover another lead for me with the 1930 Census showing the Pine Street address. There is definitely some kind of connection between the Iaccino's...Saverios April, 13, 1928 manifest shows him residing at 28 Pine Street and the Census you found shows Nathanial Iaccino living just a few doors away at 24 Pine Street....perhaps a cousin or uncle?

Yes, I am aware of the Cosenza Portal. I have spent many hours looking through those records. Its a great resource.

It's a shame about the 2nd page of the manifest...so much valuable information is lost forever :(

Thanks again for your help.
vanscan

Post by vanscan »

double posted...deleted