Need Some Help with Gargano's of Italy/New Haven, CT

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Need Some Help with Gargano's of Italy/New Haven, CT

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Hi,

I have come to the place where I can't go any further until I hear back from Italy. I know my ggf's parents were not Salvatore and Luigia Gargano because his last name is Punzo. Maybe they were an uncle or aunt, but his wife listed them as his parents on his bc. The only hope I have right now is finding a living member of the Gargano's and seeing if they know what happened to my ggf's parents. I e-mailed Italy about 8 days ago, not even an acknowledgement that they got the request for Catello's bc in Italy.

Thank you!
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need Some Help with Gargano's of Italy/New Haven, C

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

I'm sorry that should read his wife listed Salvatore and Luigia Gargano as parents on his death certificate, not his birth certificate.
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Beth death record info is given by a informat of the family so you know how that goes shes says he says stuff................Salvatore probally is his stepfather and raise him and something happen along the way to his real father in Italy so until you get the info from Italy on his records..
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Italian women do not change their name on marriage. An Italian declaring the names of the parents of a deceased person might well say:
Domenico (or whatever he was called) Punzo son of Salvatore (Punzo not repeated) and Lucia Gargano. This is the way names are presented in Italy.
The person in the US recording this information would write down Salvatore & Lucia Gargano instead of Salvatore Punzo and Lucia Gargano..
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Yes, I see that. Thanks. The problem is that Gargano's were not his parents they reared him and another boy. I really want to find out what happened to his real mother and father.
Italysearcher wrote:Italian women do not change their name on marriage. An Italian declaring the names of the parents of a deceased person might well say:
Domenico (or whatever he was called) Punzo son of Salvatore (Punzo not repeated) and Lucia Gargano. This is the way names are presented in Italy.
The person in the US recording this information would write down Salvatore & Lucia Gargano instead of Salvatore Punzo and Lucia Gargano..
Patty-AnnDiLella

Post by Patty-AnnDiLella »

Hi Punzo/New Haven: My mother's mother maiden name was Teresa (Theresa)Gargano. Teresa's parent were Girolomo Gargano born abt 1850 in Minori, Italy. He married Josephine _________ born abt 1854 in Atrani, Italy. Their daughter was Teresa Gargano born January 1, 1880 in Atrani, Italy and died July 17, 1954, in New Haven Ct. Teresa married Luigi Benevento. I have not information on their marriage only their children (Beneventos'). I too am looking for information & pictures of the Gargano/Benevento's. Hope this will be helpful, Patty-Ann DiLella
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Hi Patty,

They are probably related? The Gargano's I am looking for are Salvatore and Luigia (Louisa?) from New Haven. I am having a very hard time finding them or any decendents. The pros on here are so awesome, I bet they will help you find them!

Salvatore took in my ggf when he was 12 in 1896 so they may be in-laws?

Beth
Patty-AnnDiLella

Hi Beth, Perhaps Luigia (Louisa) Gargano & Teresa (Theresa) Gargano are related. I do not have Josephine's, who married Girolomo Gargano, maiden name, I do not known if there might be a connection. Luigia Gargano and Girolomo Gargano might be the connection sister & brother? The research I've done lately does not show a Luigia or Louisa Gargano connected to Girolomo Gargano when they were living on Bradley Street. I think my grandmother Teresa (Theresa) Gargano had at least one sister. My mother's name was Josephine, name after Girolomo's wife (my great grandmother) on my mother's side. I did have an uncle named Salvatore, who i believe was named after my grandfather Luigi Benevento's father's side. Just a little food for thought, Patty-Ann DiLella
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Wow! Do you know the names of any of Salvatore's children? Those I can get. I know he took in my ggf and another young man named Francis Airone from Italy. My ggf named my gf Salvatore after Gargano and his other son Francis after Frank Airone.

I have been trying to find where the Gargano's went from the 1920 census but after that I lost it. I am trying to find out how he came to take in my ggf. He listed Salvatore Gargano as his "Father Allevante" and in all of his paperwork always listed the Gargano's as his parents.
Patty-AnnDiLella

Hi Beth, The connection is Luigia (Louisa) Gargano. According to what you are saying she married Punzo, so it would be Salvatore Punzo married to Luigia/Louisa Gargano with a son named Domenico Punzo. You mentioned her maiden name was Luigia/Louisa Gargano. It seems Perhaps Luigia Gargano family adopted Salvatore & Frank Airone? That would be the reason they both have the name of Salvatore Gargano & Frank Gargano (Airone). Salvatore does not have a last name. Seem he took or was given Gargano. I think Louisa Gargano-Punzo & Girolomo Gargano are related somehow sister & brother? Cousins? Food for thought, Patty-Ann DiLella
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

HI Patty,

Luigia married Salvatore Gargano, they were already here with their own family.
Salvatore Punzo is my grandfather, the Gargano's didn't take him in, they took in Catello and Frank Airone. Catello named my grandfather after Salvatore Gargano.

Though my grandfather, Sal did marry a Louise, it was not Gargano.

That was the genereation prior.
Patty-AnnDiLella

Hi Beth: I guess Im a little confused I thought Louisa Gargano & Savatore Punzo were married. Did not realize their was another Salvatore (Gargano). I still think there maybe a connection with my great-grandfather Girolomo Gargano on the tree of 'Life' I'll let you know if I find out anything, Patty-Ann DiLella
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Patty, I know so many Salvatore's!
This Salvatore Gargano was in his 30's in 1896, he married Luigia, I don't know her maiden name.

I will see if I can find the census. I think they lived on Franklin St.
Patty-AnnDiLella

Hi Beth, Thats a great idea checking the Franklin Street census, perhaps the 1900 Census might be helpful if Salvatore was in his 30's. Hope you are successful, Patty-Ann DiLella
argargano

Post by argargano »

There seems to have been a strong connection between Atrani and New Haven. My gf Antonio Gargano (b.24Apr1880) emigrated from Atrani to Philadelphia. He had 2 brothers, Orazio and Salvatore who also emigrated to Philadelphia. They had Gargano cousins who emigrated to New Haven.

My gf Antonio, whose parents were Alfonso Gargano and Lucrezia Alferia both born and died in Atrani, married Rosina V Esposito who was born in New Haven. Her parents were Alfonso Esposito (b.1856) and Maria Antonia Granozzi (b.1864) who were both born in Atrani and emigrated to New Haven. Their other children were Michael, Vicenza, Anthony and Joseph.

There are quite a few Gargano's living in Atrani today and I would like to see if I could find relatives there. Any thoughts on a good way to proceed ?