boat laborers

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

boat laborers

Post by ally »

I am trying to find out alittle about my grandfather's brother Salvatore Santacaterina. I hip the ellis site and notice there are numerous Salvatores listed as employees of various boats. I do not know the boats name on which he worked other then his name and occupation I have little to go on. Is there anyway of finding out which Salvatore would be his brother? I know he was in his 30's around 1922/24 or so. They came from Schio and never traveled to USA to stay with my grandfather or his sister.

thanks,
ally
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: boat laborers

Post by wldspirit »

Do you know what section or hamlet in Schio they originated from?
Have you tried sending for birth/marriage or death extracts from
Schio? Do you have the names of great grandparents? By providing as much detail as possible it will enable others here to help you.
Website for Schio:

Comune : schiocom@schio.nettuno.it

Web Links
Comune : www.comune.schio.vi.it

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: boat laborers

Post by wldspirit »

Civil registration is available for Schio at the Lds library:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Italy, Vicenza, Schio - Civil registration
Registri dello stato civile, 1806-1905 Schio (Vicenza). Ufficio dello stato civile

You can research your family using microfilm which can be rented for less than four dollars. Microfilm must be ordered and viewed at the library itself. To find a library near you:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Hope this helps......
wldspirit