Can anyone help?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
springdal

Can anyone help?

Post by springdal »

I have found 3 different citations with my hubby's grandfathers name on them. His passport says he came over from Italy on August 27, 1909, however the various citations say:

24 Mar 1904
15 Jun 1905
15 Oct 1909

what gives? :?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Can anyone help?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You'll have to give us more to go on! :)

Where did these various dates come from?

If you would care to share your grandfather-in-law's name and year of birth, we may be able to find something more definitive, like an actual passenger manifest.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
springdal

Post by springdal »

Sorry...didn't realize how little info I had given. Actually, all three of these dates come from the New York Passenger Lists 1820-1957, and all three say he came on a different ship; Liguria 1904, Roma 1905, and the Mendoza 1909.

His name was Agostino Gialanella; also found as Agostino Gialonella. He was born 22 July 1884 in Italy and died 18 Dec 1969 in Jackson, Michigan USA. As I said, his passport has the date of 27 Aug 1909 on it. I am stuck at this point and cannot find any info about his parents and before, either. Thanks for any help you can give me! :)
EdDiDo

Post by EdDiDo »

my great uncle went back and forth to Italy three times. However, on his naturalization he used the third immigration date as his offical immigration referance. This is not unusual, my grandfather did the same.
springdal

Post by springdal »

wouldn't his passport have all three trips?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I believe all of the manifests you cited are for the same Agostino. It is not common knowledge, but many of our ancestors made multiple trips across the Atlantic and that seems to be the case here.

This Agostino came from Guardia Lombardi and, on his last trip for sure (see below), he left behind his wife Antonia Caruso (?). She may have joined him at a later date, traveling under her maiden name or - somewhat less likely - under her married name. It is also possible that she never joined him and that Agostino made an entirely new life in the US without her; these things happened...

October, 1909 manifest, page 1 (first entry, top of page):

and page 2:

Click once to enlarge, then click again for maximum magnification.

You can write to Guardia Lombardi to request Agostino's birth and marriage acts:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Guardia Lombardi
83040 Guardia Lombardi (AV)

email: anagrafe@comune.guardialombardi.av.it (remove the spaces)
web: http://www.comune.guardialombardi.av.it ... px?page=43

There is info in this thread http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/ (and many others) on writing for these records.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

WWI draft registration. Note his wife's name, Antonia:

This thread http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15686/ contains info on how to obtain (most likely) a better copy.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

springdal wrote:wouldn't his passport have all three trips?
Not necessarily. Was this a US or an Italian passport?

Actual passport, or passport application record?
Carmine

springdal

Post by springdal »

In the 1930 United States Federal Census, she is show as "Donna" Gialanella and living in the USA. I believe that it was a misprint in some way, whether it was the census taker or whoever, because that census shows her coming over in 1909 and bringing their baby Alfonso. But am wondering why she isn't showing on the 1909 manifest...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

September 20, 1910, lines 25 and 26. Antonia and Alfonso:

Information on censuses is often close but not entirely accurate...
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

springdal wrote:In the 1930 United States Federal Census, she is show as "Donna" Gialanella and living in the USA. I believe that it was a misprint in some way, whether it was the census taker or whoever, because that census shows her coming over in 1909 and bringing their baby Alfonso. But am wondering why she isn't showing on the 1909 manifest...
I haven't looked at the census, but she may very well have chosen to use the name Donna in place of Antonia. For sure, Agostino was using August by the time of the 1918 WWI draft registration...
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Alfonso?

Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996 about Alfonse F Gialanella
Name: Alfonse F Gialanella
Birth Date: 18 Jul 1909
Death Date: 11 Aug 1986
Residence: Jackson, Jackson, Michigan
Place of Death: Jackson, Jackson, Michigan

U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 2 about Alfonso Gialanella
Name: Alfonso Gialanella
Birth Date: 18 Jul 1909
Address: 331 Orange St
City: Jackson
State: MI
Zip Code: 49202-3653
Carmine

springdal

Post by springdal »

yes, I spelled Alfonse wrong, but this is correct. How do you post the pictures? I want to post the passport info I have, but can't seem to get it to work even though I am using ImageShack... Where did you find the 1910 manifest? Fascinating!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I use mostly Ancestry . com; that is where all of these documents came from.

For posting, I prefer http://postimage.org. Clean interface, no ads, no pop-ups, no registration required. After uploading an image, use the button to copy the "Thumbnail for Forums (1)" link to your clipboard, then just paste that link into a message here.
Carmine

springdal

Post by springdal »

Hopefully this comes out ok, but here is the passport

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us