Success!! Now What?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jalapeno89
Rookie
Rookie

Success!! Now What?

Post by jalapeno89 »

I had my meeting in Houston on Tuesday (pain in the ass drive... 6 hours there and it took 9 hours to get back) but it was all worth it. The consulate accepted all of my paperwork, i was a bit worried because of some name discrepancies as well as not having my great grandfathers birth certificate and only his military records stating date and place or birth... but after nervously handing over paper after paper, the consular official accepted them all and said that everything was in order and that i had everything i needed. He photocopied my driver's license and had me write out and sign that i wished to apply for italian citizenship. So my main question now that the excitement of actually having submitted everything to the consulate is what happens next? Am i an italian citizen now? or will all of the documents be sent to Rome or somewhere and be scrutinized further? How long does it usually take to find out if your application has been accepted? and can it be denied even after the consular official accepts all of the documents? thanks and sorry for the rambling at the end... Mike
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Success!! Now What?

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Mike

I don't know the answer to your question, but I was breathing a sigh of relief for you at the end of your post.

Congratulations!!!!
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
NOLATom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NOLATom »

I have read on other forums, and based on my own experience, that the consulate does have the final say. I applied on Feb. 18th and had a few name discrepancies on my documents as well. I had several offers of proof in the form of supporting documents to clarify the discrepancies, however none were required. The one hold up with my application is that my oldest daughter was born out of wedlock and even though I was listed on the birth certificate as the father, this was not acceptable proof. After realizing this was not going to be an easy task to get the document needed from my ex, I dropped my oldest daughter from the application. A few days later I received a letter in the mail explaining that I was now recognized as a citizen and that I needed to fill out the AIRE. The letter also stated the records were being sent to the commune of my ancestor and that I should wait a few months before requesting the birth certificate in order for me to proceed with my passport. I wouldn’t worry too much about the discrepancies, as the issue never came up for me or for others who have gone thru Houston. I’m sure if it was a major issue, they would have handed the document back as it was reviewed. That letter sure does change your prospective on life and your study habits (studying Italian every day now).
NOLATom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NOLATom »

Hopefully my Italian will be better than my English. I meant perspective. Darn auto correct...lol
jalapeno89
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jalapeno89 »

NOLATOM

Thanks for the info, i am really excited also its good to hear that i dont have to worry about doing the New Orleans to Houston drive again to resubmit something....