numbers above an immigration name ?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
EdDiDo

numbers above an immigration name ?

Post by EdDiDo »

My grandfather Giovanni DiDomenico arrived May 17, 1906 on the Konigin Luise. He is listed first on the manefest list. Above his information the numbers 11 x 33441-505-?/4/38. Does anyone know what these numbers mean?

Thanks for the reply
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: numbers above an immigration name ?

Post by liviomoreno »

Maybe you can finde an explanation here: http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/Manifests/name/
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It appears to be a Certificate of Arrival notation; you can take the 1938 date as a good indication that Giovanni filed his Declaration of Intent or Petition for Naturalization at approximately that time.

See this post http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/viewt ... 71#p155071 for a full explanation of Certificate of Arrival and some sample images.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
EdDiDo

Post by EdDiDo »

Johnnyonthespot, thanks for the reply. The manifest was dated 1906 so the notation must have been added sometime after 1938. Would the government spend the time to go back and add such a notation to an old document. In his 1930 census Giovanni was list as an alein, I wait the 1940 Census,perhaps he will be list as naturalized.

eddido
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

EdDiDo wrote:Johnnyonthespot, thanks for the reply. The manifest was dated 1906 so the notation must have been added sometime after 1938. Would the government spend the time to go back and add such a notation to an old document.
That is exactly what is described and shown in the post I linked to above. Because he entered the country in 1906 (or later) and began the naturalization process after 1911, he had to prove that he entered the US legally. So, yes, as in the explanation linked to in my previous post, the government would examine the immigration manifests for the ship and date your ancestor claimed to arrive on, and create a Certificate of Arrival which was forwarded to the court which was processing the naturalization request.

Every indication here is that your ancestor began the naturalization process in 1938. It is likely that he did not complete it before 1940.

What have you done to try to obtain naturalization records thus far?

Where did Giovanni reside in the US? Can you share his exact date of birth?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
EdDiDo

Post by EdDiDo »

johnnyonthespot, thank for the reply, I have searched Ancestry, and family search but did not find a naturalization record for Giovanni Di Domenico. I did find a naturalization record for his brother Ernesto Di Domenico. Giovanni was born October 27, 1870 in Scontrone, L'Aquila, Abruzzo, Italy. He entered this country on three dates, 1895 plus or minus 1 or two years (can't find the record), 1903, and 1906, which is the last immigration reference I found. In 1906 Giovanni lived in Chicago, Il before that he lived in Philadelphia, PA. Giovanni lived in Chicago until his death on April 5, 1947.

eddido
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Born 1870 or 1890? The May 17, 1906 manifest you mentioned above puts his age at 16, thus born in 1890.

Any chance this is your Giovanni? The timing would be about right...

U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) about Giovanni Paolo Di Domenico
Name: Giovanni Paolo Di Domenico
Birth Date: 26 Jun 1890
Birth Place: Italy
Age at event: 49
Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
Date of Action: 11 Jun 1940

Carmine

EdDiDo

Post by EdDiDo »

johnnyonthespot, good try but not him. My grandfather was born about 1870, not 1890. In 1940 he lived on Polk street not St Louis Ave. He never used a middle name, but if he did have a middle name, it is a mystery to the family. I plan a visit to Scontrone this summer, perhaps I will get more information on him from the civil records.

eddido
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

EdDiDo wrote:johnnyonthespot, good try but not him. My grandfather was born about 1870, not 1890.
So then, the May 17, 1906 manifest you mentioned is not Giovanni's, correct? That Giovanni is listed as 16 years old...

So the concern about the manifest notations is mis-placed, since this cannot be the correct Giovanni.

** Unless there was more than one Giovanni Di Domenico on this sailing. The one I am looking at is on line 17:

http://postimage.org/image/2yxdiy72c/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

EdDiDo

Post by EdDiDo »

Johnnyonthespot, I used Ancestry.com to look up the records for Giovanni di domenico, born 1870, when I used Ellisisland I found only the 16 year old Giovanni Di Domenico. I do not know why there is a difference in the records. Ancestry list the 16 year old Giovanni as arriving on May 4, 1906 on the ship Barbasosa, however the line is crossed out, not sure what that means. Anyway, use ancestry.com, type in Giovanni De Domenico, click on the reference for the Giovanni born in 1871. The 1871 Giovanni is the first person on the manifest list.

eddido
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

EdDiDo wrote:... Ancestry list the 16 year old Giovanni as arriving on May 4, 1906 on the ship Barbasosa, however the line is crossed out, not sure what that means. ...
It means that Giovanni did not travel on that ship
EdDiDo

Post by EdDiDo »

Johnnyonthespot I found the Ellis Island Konigin Luise reference for the 1870 born (35 year old) Giovanni Di Domenico, it is on page 0151, two pages removed from the 1890 (16 year old Giovanni Di Domenico. The Ellis Island records lists the 1870 born Giovanni as having the surname Giovanni instead of Domenico because that is now the recorder wrote it on the manifest. Later, someone put the Di infront of the Domenico.

eddido
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Okay, I found it on ancestry . com also.

So, we have established that the markings on the manifest are a good indication that Giovanni began the naturalization process in 1938 (note: the link in my earlier post is now working, if you want to go back and read about Certificates of Arrival...). As I mentioned, if Giovanni completed the process, it was likely not until well into 1940 or a year or two later.

If you need naturalization info for a jure sanguinis application, your best bet at this point would be to check the Natiaonal Archives or USCIS.

USCIS is the one place to go for certain to obtain copies of naturalization documents. Start at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 2ca60aRCRD and click the "Order Online Now" link at top right. You will need to order an "Index Search" first, wait, wait, receive report, then come back and order a "Records Request" based on the results of the index search.

Another option - much faster, much less expensive, but not certain to acutally have records - is the US National Archives. Start here https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/ , click Order Reproductions then Immigration & Naturalization Records. When filling in the order form, you may need to put xxxxxx's or 99999's in some fields where you don't have actual info; then use the comment box for additional information. If ordering from NARA, be sure to request the certified copy option.
Carmine

EdDiDo

Post by EdDiDo »

Johnnyonthespot thanks for all the help, I will do what you suggest.

eddido
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I should have mentioned: the National Archives does not charge you if they can't locate the records. USCIS, on the other hand, takes the money first and keeps it either way. :shock:

For most of the US, the National Archives holds records only for persons who naturalized in the federal courts. During the period most of us are interested in (~1900 - ~1940) , a very large percentage of naturalizations took place in state and county courts, thus one should not be surprised if NARA cannot locate records in their holdings.
Carmine