several naturalization documents, which do I need for NY?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

several naturalization documents, which do I need for NY?

Post by rgaetano »

I have a set of naturalization documents, one from a NYS County Clerk, and the other from USCIS. I am confused about what I need for my appointment (in NYC), and what needs to be certified (if at all).

The following documents I have from the County clerk, and have all have the certified stamp/signature of the County clerk:
i. Declaration of intention
ii. Petition for naturalization
iii. Certificate of Loyalty
iv. Citizenship petitions granted (lists those who were accepted in the county court)
v. Form N-550 (Alien reg card?)

The following documents I received from USCIS, with no certification, just the cover letter signed by Jill Eggleston, head of FOIA operations.
i. Certification of naturalization
ii. Petition
iii. Declaration of intent
iv. Declaration of loyaly

Only one discrepancy in these documents, the date of marriage to his wife is incorrect, (off by about a month), but there is nothing I can do about this so I assume they will not care too much, especially when I have the real marriage certificate.

I am a little worried now because I have read people about getting "ribbon certified" naturalization papers from NARA, so I am confused about the certification. Is it okay that the Certificate of Naturalization from USCIS is not certified?

rgaetano
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: several naturalization documents, which do I need for NY

Post by johnnyonthespot »

What year did the naturalization occur?

I submitted my jure sanguinis application at NYC in 2008 using naturalization documents obtained from the Westchester County Archives and certified by the county clerk, just as you describe.

The only document NYC was concerned with was the Petition for Citizenship and the Oath of Allegiance. In the time period I am most familiar with - the 1920's through 1940's, the Oath of Allegiance was pre-printed on the backside of the Petition for Citizenship form. The completion of the Oath section, signed, dated, and the certificate number written in, signifies the actual moment that naturalization was official.

PS: Since you found copies at the county archives, it is apparent that your ancestor naturalized in a state or county court (I am guessing the "Supreme Court of the State of New York"). If this is the case, you can forget about NARA entirely; for most of the US and in particular New York, NARA has naturalization records only from the federal court system.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
MST995
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MST995 »

rgaetano, I bought with me all of the documents you have, only the oath of allegience from the county clerk was able to be certified though. My advice is to just ask the county clerk to certify anything that they are legally allowed to certify and bring everything you have with you... I really don't think there's such a thing as "too much" documentation.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

MST995- Yes, I will certainly bring everything I have... I just wanted to make sure what I actually needed was something I had. Thanks- rgaetano