Italians suspicious of geneoligists

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ponzi1

Italians suspicious of geneoligists

Post by ponzi1 »

When I began my search for living Italian relatives, I was warned by my mentor that, if and when I finaly make contact, that Italians can be very suspicious of my motives. This is because Italian Law allows for the descendants of emmigrants to claim property they left behind when they left for America.
Has anyone in this forum encountered this? I think I am now.
I did a brief google search and indeed found some legal fims in USA specializing in this. Apparently, when many Italians left, they did not transfer property, house, etc. with the proper official way, only verbally, or just abandoned land.
I started searching for relatives to meet not because I'm interested in laying claim to property, but just because I thought it would be nice on my first visit to Italy (a few months from now) to see my ancestral hometown and share a glass of wine with some newly-discovered cousins.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Re: Italians suspicious of geneoligists

Post by rancelli »

my greedy azz relatives got money from property and didn't give my grandmother a dime. 20,000 in assets. back in those days (60's) that was a lot of money.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

honestly i just want to find out where my moms family came from.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

It is true that land and property were abandoned or left verbally when Italians immigrated and although Italian law does protect the rights of ancestors to lay claim (since ownership technically still belongs to them)it's a difficult process to endure. Several reasons: one being that Italian law also protects families who took over, took care of and lived on the land in the yrs since and if they were there enough yrs they also can lay claim. This is what I was told by friends of our family that attempted this very thing so I'm not quoting Italian law in any way, just what we were told. We hold deeds to many olive gardens, vineyards and property in areas of Italy and have not attempted to claim it but we have other friedns who have been trying to for many yrs and they say it's just a very difficult process with a lot of "beaurocratic red tape". So yes, I would believe that Italians are suspect of Americans contacting them because of this even though to your point, it is not your intention. On the flip side, many immigrants passed those deeds of ownership on through the yrs to their families thinking they were passing on someting of value for them to claim someday. So you have Italians taking care of the land and properties for generations in the absence of the rightful owners who feel they rightfully lay claim vs the ancestors of the rightful owners who feel they rightfully innherited the land and properties. Can make for a mess. Good luck in your search to meet up with some family for that glass of wine. Many others have been able to calm suspicions so hopefully you will be able to do the same and enjoy some time with distant relatives while there :)
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Italian law protects the users of any good, vs the owners. This legal institute is called "usucapione". After 20 years someone has used, let's say, a house or a field, with no opposition and no claim on someone else's part, he can claim it for himself (of course, he has to prove both the use and the lack of opposition). And once the 20 years have passed, even if the owner claims what was once of his, the user still can oppose the claim, if he can prove what above. So, Italian relatives can not be afraid of losing what they used for years; I suppose they just can be afraid of facing someone claiming it.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.