Sending Euros to Italian Town Civil Status Office

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Sending Euros to Italian Town Civil Status Office

Post by rp76226 »

The commune of Grumo Appula has emailed me that they finished the research I requested last December on my ancestors. They are asking for 40 euros and a self stamped envelope. Other than cash, how do I send the euros? My understanding is that money orders aren't any good. Also, how do I get a stamp that Italy will allow on the self stamped envelope to be mailed from Italy to me?
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Sending Euros to Italian Town Civil Status Office

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello, :D
My experience is.. I buy my Euro through a well known bank on line and now I get them from a neice that lives in Switzerland. The comunes I have done business with have never requested money. The State archives always have,
I send the amount that is asked for, along with a self addressed envelope and make sure they know my address. They rarely use the envelope I send, so now when I write, I don't send one.
I would think that the comune you are requesting records from will pay for the cost of mailing you the records. I wouldn't worry about trying to put postage on a return envelope and I am not sure you can anyway.
Hope this helps,
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bene2950 »

I sent Euros to Verona for a military search on my grandfather. I sent a self addressed stamped envelope with the euros inside. I received the documents and they sent my euros back to me.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Didn't you need a stamp from Italy on your self addressed envelope? Where did you get it and how did you know the euro value of the stamp you needed?
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bene2950 »

I had postage from USPS for international mail. I didn't know the euro value. I had an idea is was 15 euros from other posts on this site. I sent 20 euro and they returned it. I had the euros from a recent trip to Europe.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acartia »

I have been following this with interest as it is something I will have to do myself for certificates from Italy in the future. I have no suggestions really. To the best of my knowledge what folk say on here, is to send Euros in terms of notes in an envelope, but not to make it apparent that notes are in the envelope. It`s the same all over the world if sending money by notes. If I was asked for a self addressed envelope with stamps, I would hope that a self addressed envelope would suffice, but I would send an extra Euro,two Euro or more depending on the amount of things to send to you, and just hope that would be accepted, and then for them to add the postage(stamps)to your envelope with the items to be sent to you, as there is not much easy way that I can, either, get current Italian stamps in Australia, as well as not knowing the Italian postage rates anyhow. See what others suggest on this,it is interesting. John.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

John I have sent away to Italy for records I will say 10 times. When I first started doing it I used the IRC's which I once said before I think they make paper airplanes out of....Heres my success rate IRC's 1 return out of 5 letters.Italian stamps return envelope 4 out of 5 still waiting on one reply letter. With Italian letters costing 1.60 euro I think the towns are getting tight with there money.Also when I send for records I am precise with my info I dont run on and on and ask for 5 different records.
Also this family certifcate is very hard for comunes to do.(Some are kept at the provincial archive) Its just not a record thats in a registry they have to look up all the records by name and compile them into a stato di famiglia so that is alot to ask and to get a reply would they do it in the town you live in or in the States and sent in back to you with a IRC........
Most of my records have been free photo copies marriage birth death they have sent back.Church records are alot differnt you can try the cash donation its hit or miss.
I always include these phrases in my letters
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
If you do not have the necessary records, could you provide the address of the place where the records can be found?
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei vostri registri e di farmi sapere il costo delle copie.
Would you please inform me if it is possible to obtain photocopies of your records and tell me the cost of such copies.
My vote is forget the IRC's cash or Italian stamps
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

I was confused by your last statement - "My vote is forget the IRC's cash or Italian stamps". I thought you were adving to use Euros cash. This official has claimed to have done the research and asked for 40 euros. I'm guessing I should get it and put it in an sealed envelope with my letter.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Sorry typo I meant stick with the cash and stamps

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello Again :D
My vote is to go to a Family History Center and do the research yourself. That's one vote coming from someone who has many film being held indefinitly.
My Colliano and Valva oomunes are not filmed. When I write to them, they charge nothing and use there own return envelopes.

Best of luck,
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Hi, I have been able to purchase an International Reply Paid Voucher from my local post office. This is a voucher that can then be exchanged for stamps by whoever is sending my information to me . I have used this for searches I am conducting in Argentina. Hope this helps.
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Paolo I agree!! DO ALL YOUR RESEARCH HERE FIRST BEFORE GOING ACROSS THE DEEP BLUE SEA. :shock: After you cant find anymore from films and websites I would then go for civil and church records by mail. I have purchase IRC's online from the postal services.I think the problem is the civil records workers have a tough time cashing them in because the lines at the post office take so long and they dont want to wait...Italysearcher a member on here has told stories about waiting inline Ann says its crazy there......

Marty

Marty