CERTIFIED COPY - Alien Registration

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
goingtorome
Rookie
Rookie

CERTIFIED COPY - Alien Registration

Post by goingtorome »

Anyone know if it is possible to get a CERTIFIED COPY of an AR-2 form (Alien Registration) from USCIS? I ordered a document like this and received a copy, but I have been asked to provide a certified copy by the consulate to clear my ancestor's residency status discrepancy.

Thanks!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: CERTIFIED COPY - Alien Registration

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
goingtorome
Rookie
Rookie

Post by goingtorome »

Thanks for this, but it doesn't quite answer my question...unless I'm missing something. I know how to obtain a copy of the AR-2 form (I have done it already), but I am trying to find out how to get a CERTIFIED COPY (Red ribbon/golden seal)...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

goingtorome wrote:Thanks for this, but it doesn't quite answer my question...unless I'm missing something. I know how to obtain a copy of the AR-2 form (I have done it already), but I am trying to find out how to get a CERTIFIED COPY (Red ribbon/golden seal)...
Sorry about that.

My thinking was that the National Archives will happily certify just about any document in their possession, and I know for certain that other certified documents (such as US Censuses) from the National Archives have been accepted by consulates in the US.

You might try sending an email to Afiles.KansasCity@nara.gov and inquire about the certification process.

In general, getting anything from the National Archives will be multiple orders of magnitude faster than USCIS, not to mention less expensive. If you want to pursue USCIS, perhaps you can get an answer concerning certification from Genealogy.USCIS@dhs.gov
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
goingtorome
Rookie
Rookie

Post by goingtorome »

Great, thanks so much!
goingtorome
Rookie
Rookie

Post by goingtorome »

So, I've still no luck on this one...USCIS FINALLY returned my call (should I faint??!!) and they said their office does not certify documents. Lame.

Has anyone any other idea(s) on how to get a certified copy of an Alien Registration form????

Thanks!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

How about the National Archives? Any luck there?
Carmine

goingtorome
Rookie
Rookie

Post by goingtorome »

I spoke with someone from NARA and they said they don't have any AR-2 files...???
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

goingtorome wrote:I spoke with someone from NARA and they said they don't have any AR-2 files...???
Interesting. I wonder what is the difference between an "A-File" (see my earlier post in this thread) and an "AR-2 File"...
Carmine

goingtorome
Rookie
Rookie

Post by goingtorome »

I don't think there is any difference, just that NARA might not have it. I am going to speak to them again and have them look this particular A-file up (I have the #).

Otherwise, it looks like I am just going to get the "Letters of no record"