NYC success!!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

NYC success!!!

Post by Drew927 »

Today I recieved my letter informing me that my documents are being sent to the comune di Napoli and I have been registered in the A.I.R.E. database. The letter states " This completes the process that grants you Italian citizenship (jure sanguinis) and you can now file an application for the issuance of the Italian passport".
Thank you ALL so very much for the help, guidance and support I recieved from this the most valuable site on the internet. I truly could not have done it without you.
Grazie mille
Drew
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: NYC success!!!

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Great news, Drew!

How much time elapsed from your final application submittal until the letter arrived? Was your letter dated a couple of weeks prior to the actual mailing? Mine was...

So now you can make a passport appointment and, depending on their mood that day, you can either walk out with passport in hand after a 30 minute wait, or they will mail it to you after a day or two. See http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... assaporti/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Carmine,
My appointment was March 1st,2011 and the letter is dated May 25, 2011. I recieved it today on the 28th. Very rapid turnaround.

My friend is from Genoa and she was out in 2 hours with her passport. She said that was the fastest time she has experienced.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Congratulations Drew. Are you moving to Italy anytime soon?
Are you retired or close to it?
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Thanks Jennabet,
I'm about 8 years from retirement and yes my plans are to retire there.
markk612

Post by markk612 »

Congrats to you! I also received a success letter from NYC yesterday.

So, to get the passport we just make an appointment and show up?

I saw the online form but I wasn't sure how a date was selected (I am out of NYC till 29 June, so figured I'd wait till I got back to make it - but if I'm going to have to wait 5 weeks regardless, might as well make it now).

Any advice on that?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

markk612 wrote:Congrats to you! I also received a success letter from NYC yesterday.

So, to get the passport we just make an appointment and show up?

I saw the online form but I wasn't sure how a date was selected (I am out of NYC till 29 June, so figured I'd wait till I got back to make it - but if I'm going to have to wait 5 weeks regardless, might as well make it now).

Any advice on that?
Congrats to you, too, Mark!

You should bring a pair of passport photos with you; try to get EU-style if possible (2.5cm x 3.5cm); I have used 2" x 2" US-style photos and the passport officer trimmed them down. You may recall there is a passport photo machine in the first-floor waiting room; I have never used it and at least once read that it was not working when someone needed it.

Be prepared to be electronically fingerprinted; all new EU passports have this requirement.

Bring along cash ($109.91) or a credit card (additional $3.00 fee).

Bring your US Passport if you have one; be sure to also have your driver's license or othr photo ID as well.

If you have any minor (under 18) children, you will need their mother's consent before you can be issued a passport. The only way to avoid this is to show that you have full custody of the children and the mother has lost all rights. Authorization form: http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/rdo ... ssenso.pdf

Go to https://web.esteri.it/prenotaOnline/log ... otaOnline/ and create an online account.

hosting images

Be careful that you enter dates in the correct, european, format. Birthplace is the name (only) of the town/city in which you were born. Residence is the city or city&state where you currently reside. Citizenship can be "Italian & US"

Once you have created the account and logged in:

hosting images

"Figli Minori" is for the names of your minor children

"Height (cm)" - multiply your height in inches by 2.54 (ex: 5ft 9in = 69" * 2.54 = 175cm)

"Nome e cognome coniuge" - your wife's given name and maiden surname

"I've read the guidelines (S/N)" - Si or No

Once you get past this page, you will be given the opportunity to select an appointment date from a calendar showing available time slots.

I got my own passport before the fingerprinting rule kicked in; whether they were busy that day or what I don't know, but after being processed they offered to mail my passport to my home and it arrived five or six days later. Several months elapsed before my wife could set aside time to get to NYC for her own passport; by this time fingerprinting was de riguer. She had an early appointment and, after processing, was asked to return to the waiting room; about twenty minutes later the official walked in and handed her her new passport.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Dont you have to wait for the comune to send you your birth certificate from Italy BEFORE you get your passport? Thats what Ive been told.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

DeFilippis78 wrote:Dont you have to wait for the comune to send you your birth certificate from Italy BEFORE you get your passport? Thats what Ive been told.

Consulates vary on this point. New York City, thank goodness, has no such requirement. You can make a passport appointment the same day you receive your letter and, if the stars are aligned correctly, you could in theory have your passport within the week.

Other consulates do indeed force the new citizen to wait until his documents have been registered in the ancestral comune and he/she has obtained a formal "Certificato di Nascita in Carta Libera" before issuing a passport. I know this has proven very frustrating as some people have waited many, many, months for this process to complete.
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Would you happen to know what Philly wants? Im not sure. It doesnt really matter if I have to wait because I have no plans to get to Italy immediately.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Just read the good news, and it's doubly good since both Drew and Mark posted their success in the same thread! Congratulations to both of you!! :D
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericataylor22 »

I too am curious of Philly requires you to have your Italian birth certificate before you can get your passport. I leave for Italy next August for school (already accepted and registered) and if I have to wait for Comune to send BC for months that may be a problem.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

ericataylor22 wrote:I too am curious of Philly requires you to have your Italian birth certificate before you can get your passport. I leave for Italy next August for school (already accepted and registered) and if I have to wait for Comune to send BC for months that may be a problem.
There are some people on here who have been waiting 2 years for their birth certificate! It all depends on the consulate and the cooperation of the town in Italy.Im not sure how Philly works though. Maybe they just need your recognition to give passport. Im not sure. Maybe we should start a new topic?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Hi, for anyone who ends up taking a trip to Italy without having received his passport, I recommend that you stop into your comune, introduce yourself and inquire about your status. No matter how small the comune, there is always someone around who knows a little English and will understand what you need.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

By using the terms "cooperation of the town in Italy", you're making it sound as if the comune is some small, backwards place cut off from mainstream society, when in fact it is not. It's just that the Consulates in the US are very busy and they don't have the time, nor is it their responsibility to follow-up with the comunes to make sure newly recognized citizens have been registered. So that leaves it up to you. You can either call the comune and inquire about your registration or you can visit them in person when you're in Italy. It never hurts to establish a face to face rapport and I know for a fact that officials in most small comunes are very proud and happy to have descendants of former residents coming back and they would be glad to meet you.