Italian Military Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Military Records

Post by Mbmal »

I need to find the military records of gggf. he was born in misilmeri and, i believe, served in 1918. is there somewhere that i can write for that and is there any letter template that i can use.

if i need to write to the commune there...can anyone provide the address..

thanks
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian Military Records

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Military records are normally found at the provincial archives of the province which includes the birth comune, in this case, Palermo. You can use this template:

06 giugno 2011 [giugno is June; month names in italian are written lower case]

[your name]
[your address]

STATI UNITI D'AMERICA - USA

Archivio di Stato di Palermo
Corso Vittorio Emanuele 31
90133 Palermo
ITALY

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo [your name here], ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto.

Vi scrivo affinché mi aiutiate a reperire:

* FOGLIO DI CONGEDO ILLIMITATO
* FOGLIO MATRICOLARE
* REGISTRO DI LEVA

per il mio trisavolo:

* [gggf's name, last name first, all caps] nato nel Comune di Misilmeri, in data [date of birth or 'circa 1884'], paternità [his father's given name if you know it else 'incerto'], maternità [mother's full maiden name if you know it "SMITH JANE" else 'incerto']

Vi prego di farmi sapere quanto dovuto per il servizio e per i costi di spedizione.

Distinti saluti,

[your signature]

Date of birth should be written as shown above; day number, month spelled out in italian, year.

email address: as-pa@beniculturali.it
web: http://www.archiviodistatodipalermo.it/index.php

State archives usually charge a small fee to cover the cost of copying and postage. This typically amounts to less then €5. They will send you a bill, sometimes by email (if you provide an address, of course). Some state archives will mail the bill and the documents the same day; others will send a bill and wait for payment before mailing the docs.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mbmal »

Carmine, thank you you are always so helpful.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Heres a website for you about some info on military records go to the read section

http://www.myitalianfamily.com/record/home_record.htm

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty