illegitimate births

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dollybird

illegitimate births

Post by dollybird »

Hi, my husbands great grandfather was born illegitimately :wink: . I have his birth registration certificate and wondered if there is any way his ancestry can be traced. :?:Though I do have trouble reading the hand writing. He was named by his mother who left no name herself :? . I figure that it is possible the name given is a hint of the babies heritage.what do you think?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: illegitimate births

Post by johnnyonthespot »

dollybird wrote:Hi, my husbands great grandfather was born illegitimately :wink:
In what year and what part of Italy (region or comune) did this take place?

I have seen many birth records from the first half of the 1800's which list only the mother's name. There are several explanations for this which are less nefarious than "illegitimate". :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
dollybird

Post by dollybird »

Vittorio Liborio (Libori) was born in 1894 July 23rd. at "Arquino No.4, Sondrio, Italy". A nurse, Caelli Maddalina, daughter of Silvestio, took the baby into foster care and raised him at Besta, in the Council of Teglio, until he immigrated to Australia on 25th December 1911.Her partner was Valli Bombardo di Silvestio, from what I can make out of the hand written certificate. Vittorio was stated as being an "Orphan baby". it was mentioned that the name was chosen by the mother. On reflection, the mother may have died during childbirth, with no father present or named.This gets more interesting. I hope this information helps.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

It is not usualy possible to trace an abandoned baby's heritage in Italy as complete anonymity was guaranteed, in fact, enforced, on the unmarried (usually) woman. Often is was commonly known who the parents were and they were ften raised by their natural parents but the official records will always show illegitmate unless the parents married and officially recognised the child or the father needed or wanted an heir..
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
dollybird

Post by dollybird »

Well, thats it then. That makes my husbands family line very short. How frustrating. I will just have to stick to his mothers side of the family. It would have been nice to track the name. Thank you so much for all your advise and assistance.