How to Get Petition for Naturalization?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
taralynn125

How to Get Petition for Naturalization?

Post by taralynn125 »

Hi,

I recently had my appointment at the consulate in NYC and they said I need to get my grandfather's petition for naturalization. I have his original certificate of naturalization, which my grandmother happened to have (my grandfather passed away). It is from Springfield, Massachusetts. Where do I go or who do I write to in order to get the petition?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: How to Get Petition for Naturalization?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

taralynn125 wrote:Hi,

I recently had my appointment at the consulate in NYC and they said I need to get my grandfather's petition for naturalization. I have his original certificate of naturalization, which my grandmother happened to have (my grandfather passed away). It is from Springfield, Massachusetts. Where do I go or who do I write to in order to get the petition?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Is it from a federal court (usually, "United States District Court") or a state court?

Tell us which one and also the year the certificate was issued.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

I tried getting one here in Chicago, they told me I was crazy even to ask for that. The petitions here are attached to the naturlzaiton docs, if you filed a petition and didn't complete the process they have boxes in the back with those. They were not amused when I asked to go though the boxes.
taralynn125

Post by taralynn125 »

Carmine,

If is from 1954. I believe it's from the state court; it says "Superior Court of Hampden County" and I don't see anything about a District Court.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The Superior Court of Hampden County has a web page here: http://www.mass.gov/courts/courtsandjud ... pmain.html

The easiest answer I can give you right this moment is to contact the court and ask them what state or federal agency has possession of the naturalization declarations, petitions, and related records for the 1954 era.

Worst case (generally higher cost and very slow response time), you can definitely get the required documents from the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS). See this post for info on how to order from USCIS: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/t ... is#p158695

However, definitely try the state court first.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)