Contacting the commune: regular mail versus fax?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Contacting the commune: regular mail versus fax?

Post by amaglioc »

I was recognized by the consulate last month, and they directed me to contact my home commune (Frosinone FR) to get a copy of my newly-registered Italian birth certificate. I need this in order to apply for a passport (not true for all consulates, don't know why Houston wants it).

So I'm preparing to contact the commune. Is there any reason to think a fax would be more or less effective than regular mail? The Frosinone web page contains email and fax information.

http://www.comune.frosinone.it/pagina52 ... afici.html

I have experience corresponding with this commune. They responded by regular mail to a record request (sent via regular mail) about two months later. At that time I did not include a self-addressed stamped envelope, return postage, postal reply coupons, or Euros.

Thanks!
Cherry
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Contacting the commune: regular mail versus fax?

Post by Cherry »

I think a fax should be good enough.
If you want to be 150% sure, Then write an e-mail also, mentioning that you've sent along a fax, for in Italy a fax has a "legal course" while an email not (but it's simpler to read) and if you choose mailing, I would send a "Raccomandata con ricevuta di ritorno".
Cheers,
Flo
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Every single comune has its own rules, many accept faxes, other not, other need regular mail plus self addressed envelope to return documents, many also want the copy of ID because italian law wants to know who is making the request.
So it is suggestable to call comune and to ask what is the best way to send a request
Riccardo
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Frosinone wants photo ID and an addressed envelope.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

Uh-oh! I sent the letter off about an hour ago, with photo ID but not including an addressed envelope! Ann, I didn't see your reply in time.

I wonder if I should send another letter with all the same materials and include an addressed envelope this time.
uwlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by uwlaw »

While not required under Italian law (all vital records are supposed to be free), I've had very good luck receiving responses to my requests by enclosing a $20 bill in the envelope. Of course, this requires contacting the comune by mail instead of fax.

Is this proper protocol? Not really. Has it worked for me? Absolutely. Besides, since it costs a few Euro to mail the certificates to the US and may require a trip to the post office, I feel that it isn't improper to compensate someone for their troubles.

Funny enough, but my cousin made a request to the same comune and included a 10 Euro note. She never heard back from them.
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

Okay, an update to my story: I sent a second letter to Frosinone in February of 2011, and included $20 USD for postage, and today I received the Italian birth registration the Houston consulate requires to process a passport. Frosinone returned my $20, too! Now I begin what I hope will be the final step in acquiring a passport, but I feel good about this stage because Houston seems so efficient and friendly thus far.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Well, no matter how you measure it, the simple (!) process of obtaining your certificato di nascita sure did take a long time.

Nevertheless, it is done now and your passaporto is destined to be the easiest part of the entire journey.

Congratulations!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

Thanks, Carmine! I'm excited, and am printing out the passport application from the Houston Consulate website right now, and also trying to book my appointment via their online system.

The earliest appointment I can get, I'm there!
todopasa

Post by todopasa »

At first I tried a “company” to get the GPs certs… It worked just fine, but I did all the research work, so I had some good data, but after my wife’s citizenship was recognized, the same company was unable to get the transcribed certificates from the commune, so I decided to send a letter with a signed ID photocopy and the reason we needed the documents, and the “infamous” 20 bucks…… and we received all in about a week. nothing fancy, just standard mail.

So thank you guys for the advise!
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

Congratulations! That's a great turnaround time, one week. That's the best time I've read about thus far. I'm still a go for my appointment august 11, though I suppose I should confirm it before I show up in Houston.
todopasa

Post by todopasa »

Ok… sorry let me rephrase it… one week after they received my letter (I’m calculating it took 7 business days to get there)…. Still a surprising fast turnaround…. After dealing with all of this a couple weeks seems nothing. Thanks for your congratulations… same to you. I read you had your interview with Dr Ansaldo … same here….. Houston Consulate is certainly very responsive and easy to work with.

Jose
todopasa

Post by todopasa »

amaglioc wrote:Congratulations! That's a great turnaround time, one week. That's the best time I've read about thus far. I'm still a go for my appointment august 11, though I suppose I should confirm it before I show up in Houston.

Please let us know how it went.... my wife has to process her passport at the same consulate.

Good luck!!
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

Hey, all,

My passport appointment went very smoothly. I showed up with the application filled out completely (except the signature, which I thought they might want to witness), my two passport style photos (taken at my local county courthouse), and the total fee in cash, which I *think* was $119.20, or something like that. Also took my US passport and drivers licence, both of which they asked to see. Last but not least I brought with me that elusive Italian birth certificate I had waited on for seven months.

I arrived twenty minutes early and the gentleman at the window took my documents and asked me to have a seat. About 30 minutes later, the woman who actually creates the passport called me back for electronic fingerprinting and sent me out to the lobby again. Twenty minutes later, she brought out the passport and showed me all the pages, told me about the tax again, and reminded me to inform AIRE if I should have any changes in address or marital status, etc.

It couldn't have been easier and represents the end of a long process, but I hope the beginning of a cool journey. I plan a trip to Italy early in the spring of '12.
todopasa

Post by todopasa »

Great!! Congratulations!