No reply from Palermo on grandfather's birth cert request

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
AnitaBartholomew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Jun 2011, 18:33

No reply from Palermo on grandfather's birth cert request

Post by AnitaBartholomew »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and hope someone here can offer advice.

I wrote to Palermo originally in February, asking for my grandfather's birth certificate. I had his place and date of birth, and received my letter back, stating that he wasn't on record there. Since I knew he'd been born in Palermo, I located his birth date, district, and birth certificate number, (date of birth: August 20, 1898; Place of birth: Palermo; District: UF2; Volume: 379; Number: 3119), in the files of Hugh Tornabene I found online.

I sent another letter, with all this information, in April.

I've gotten no reply to that second letter.I've followed up, twice, via email and gotten no reply to those emails.

What else should I be doing? I need my grandfather's birth certificate because I'll be applying for dual citizenship in Miami.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anita
User avatar
SondraG
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 11 Aug 2009, 19:04

Re: No reply from Palermo on grandfather's birth cert reques

Post by SondraG »

Hi Anna,
I know that's frustrating, but if you want to speed things up, you could hire one of the research firms. We hired one for the birth certificate from Agrigento, and it came pretty quickly. Yes, it does cost more, but it is one solution.

Happy to help if I can. My husband and I just got our Dual citizenship in Mar 2011. We went through the Philadelphia consulate.

Sondra
User avatar
corrado
Elite
Elite
Posts: 385
Joined: 12 Dec 2006, 00:00
Location: Queens NY

Re: No reply from Palermo on grandfather's birth cert reques

Post by corrado »

The state capital which in this case is also Palermo has a copy of the records, they will charge you for them, not like the comune. I would phone the archives for the provience of Palermo. Your big problem is they will want a money order in euros. Thats a good one! If you are really under the gun, as far as time is concered, you will have to take Sondra's advise, but for me that is the last resort.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~itapaler/records.html
User avatar
nazca
Elite
Elite
Posts: 271
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:59
Location: Palermo, Italy
Contact:

Re: No reply from Palermo on grandfather's birth cert reques

Post by nazca »

Hi Anita,
send me all the data for your grandfather's certificate and a copy of your request.
I will try for you but i'm not sure they give me the certificate because we are not related. I had some problems to obtain the certificate of my great grandfather and we have same name and same surname!!

regards.

Vincenzo.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
Post Reply