Looking for the Casali di San Ciro, Vico Equense NA

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for the Casali di San Ciro, Vico Equense NA

Post by Apples »

My Great granfather was born in Casali di San Ciro, Vico Equense.

I have looked at the Vico Equense website and have found that 'i Casali' are the small hamlets in the hills around Vico Equense.

I have read through the information about the hamlets and looked on internet maps but cannot find a hamlet called San Ciro.

I am wondering if it is no longer there. I tried emailing the Tourist Office in Vico Equense but did not get a reply.

Does anyone know how I could get more info?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Looking for the Casali di San Ciro, Vico Equense NA

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I see that Vico Equense has a pair of Patron Saints, San Ciro and San Giovanni.

Perhaps Casali di San Ciro was simply the area surrounding a church or cathederal of the same name?

[edited to add]

Churches in Vico Equense today: http://www.paginegialle.it/pgol/2-89770 ... 54100?ind=

Parrocchia SS. Ciro e Giovanni
Via San Ciro
80069 Vico Equense (NA)

* Parrocchia SS. Ciro e Giovanni = Parish of Saints Ciro and Giovanni
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

I thought about that too but the family tradition is that my great grandfather lived in the mountains. - although my family traditions rarely seem to be true!

Also the church of San Ciro is right in the centre I am not sure why it would be recorded as a separate hamlet?

Does anyone know if the area was originally separate from the rest of the town?
Ciro Di Brita

Post by Ciro Di Brita »

San Ciro is the patron saint of Vico Equense and Casali di San Ciro is thew old suburbs of Vico Equense, it is no longer used in that form to signify the old boundries of the town, the town has grown so much over the last 50 years that that area now just falls under Vico Equense...What is your surname, i could maybe find out more about your family that way as my family lives inn the same area for the last 50 years...
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Apples »

Thank you so much Ciro. :-)
I have been trying to work out if San Ciro was a separate village in the hills or just part of the town for ages.

The family name is Della Ragione or La Ragione.

I know there are a few La Ragione's left in Vico Equense but the couple I have been able to contact did not think they were connected.

My Great Grandfather Antonio came to the UK in the 1880s - it is quite a long time ago to find connections.

The name is not that common - so I am still hopeful.