Divorce Certificates Needed? Chicago Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JoshFM
Rookie
Rookie

Divorce Certificates Needed? Chicago Consulate

Post by JoshFM »

For jure sanguinis, does anyone know if the Chicago Consulate requires divorce certificates? It does not state anything about divorce certificates in the application, but I want to be really thorough and have everything together so I don't have to make a return trip to Chicago after being denied. Thanks!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Divorce Certificates Needed? Chicago Consulate

Post by johnnyonthespot »

JoshFM wrote:For jure sanguinis, does anyone know if the Chicago Consulate requires divorce certificates? It does not state anything about divorce certificates in the application, but I want to be really thorough and have everything together so I don't have to make a return trip to Chicago after being denied. Thanks!
Whose divorce? Yours? Your parents?

If, for example, you are the child of a second (third, fourth) marriage for one of your parents, then you will absolutely need to provide divorce documents for his/her first marriage(s). If you are the child of a first marriage and your parents later divorced, well, the consensus seems to be that what the consulate does not know won't hurt them.

If we are talking about your own divorce, then yes, you should plan to submit the related documents.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JoshFM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoshFM »

I'm referring to my grandparents and my parents' divorce. I'm applying through the GGF>GF>M lineage. My Italian great-grandparents remained married until death, as they vowed to. For my grandparents and parents, it was a different story. I'm thinking that since Chicago does not mention divorce records, I should just not bring it up.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You can probably safely ignore these divorces.

Marriage licenses normally state the "number" of the marriage for both the bride and for the groom. If, for example, your parents' license indicated that this was your mother's 2nd marriage, then you would have to prove that her first marriage was legally dissolved or that her first husband died, thereby making her 2nd marriage completely legal.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
amrusha

Post by amrusha »

Can a finalized divorce be voided if the wife knowingly did not tell the judge about being pregnant? Couple of divorce lawyers said divorce can not be finalized while the wife is pregnant. So a friend of mine's wife did not tell the judge she is pregnant in order for the divorce to be finalized. Can the divorce be void if the count find out but it's already finalized? Can she be in any trouble? This case is in the state of Ohio.