ellis island information

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

ellis island information

Post by ally »

Just wondering, is there any other site in which one can look for any information on a family member coming to US?

I found my great grandfather Francesco Vernaglia, in May of 1895.
However, I cannot locate my g-gram Angeline or Evangeline (Paruolo),
Antionette, Rosina (Rose) or Mary. I know that they came after Frank, in 1896 or 1899. My grandmother Rose said she was around 4 or so when she came to America. She was born either 1892 or 1895. Each document I have for her, census and marriage lic, her age is different. I cannot locate a birth record as she said she came from Naples, but my aunt said she told her Sorentto. So I do not know where to write. I even tried under g-grams surname Paruolo, as someone mentioned that sometimes woman used their own names.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: ellis island information

Post by VaDeb »

Ancestry.com has ports beside Ellis Island.

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The following site provides a general outline with regard to immigration,
dates, ports, records on microfilm and cd, ect. ect..........

http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/passengers.html

ancestry.com is a paid subsription, however, you can get limited info with a two week free trial.

did you locate your g/grandfather thru ellis island? passenger records at ellis island are from 1892 thru 1924........
Italian women do not take their husbands surname, so she would be listed under her surname. chances are it was badly mispelled.......
wldspirit
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Yes i DID LOCATE HIM THRU ELLIS ISLAND.

IT IS JUST DRIVING ME NUTS THAT I CANNOT LOCATE ANY INFO ON MY GRANDMOTHER AND HER MOM AND SIBLINGS. IT SEEMS EVERYWHERE I TURN, I RUN INTO ANOTHER BRICK WALL. EVEN AT STATE ARCHIVES, I CANNOT FIND MY GREAT AUNTS BIRTH CERT. I KNOW SHE WAS BORN IN NORTH BERGEN IN SEPT 1906, ANNA VANNELLI, EVEN TRIED THE CORRECT SURNAME OF G-GRANDFATHER. SEEMS THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES SO MANY TIMES IN US, EVERY CENSUS REPORT LISTS A DIFFERENT SPELLING AS WELL AS MY FATHERS SIBLINGS BIRTH RECORDS. THANKS FOR THE HELP.

ALLY