Document error, acceptance letter?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Document error, acceptance letter?

Post by SChiarini »

Hi all,

Just wondering how your acceptance letter came, esp those who went to the NY consulate. Did it come by regular mail or UPS?

It's been 3 months now. I handed in a document with a MAJOR discrepancy. I'm not sure if anyone remembers but I am going through GGF-->GM--->F

The error was my GGM name on my GM birth certificate. IT was completely wrong and didnt even have her correct maiden name. When I handed in the document I told them that it really shouldnt have a bearing on the application as she is not in the direct line... however I feel like I am going to get a rejection letter!

I finally went and spoke to Ms. Timbers the other day and she is going to change the name for me and I have to go pick it up this Tuesday! (YAY) However, my second question is, do I wait till I get a response from the consulate?? OR do I just hand in the document as soon as I get it. I tried to call and see if this would affect my application processing time but they are no help.

Any advice would help. I just wanted to get it in regardless if i Needed to make this change or not (which i have a feeling they might ask me to) as I rather have it in and start waiting 3 months from Tuesday...rather than wait till I hear THEN hand it in.... not sure what to do

THanks in advance!

Stephanie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Document error, acceptance letter?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It is almost three years to the day since my wife and I received form letters from the NYC consulate advising that my citizenship (and my wife's through marriage) had been recognized and inviting us to come in for passports at our convenience. The letters arrived via regular first-class mail in separate envelopes.

From what I have seen, the NYC consulate generally does not formally accept an application until they feel that it is passable as is; usually they make you keep coming back until they are satisfied that all of your documentation is in order, complete, and all discrepancies of concern have been resolved.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

Carmine,

They told me at my original appointment they wanted it correct, however after months of fighting with vital records, i was told it cant be changed and needed a court order. Funny how I just went down there and presented additional documents in person to Ms. Timbers and she said it was not a problem to change (sigh) I wish I read about her earlier --- either way I handed in the documents with the errors 3 months ago as I didnt think I would be able to get the name changed/corrected..
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Well, you can certainly go ahead and offer to submit the corrected document, now that you have it...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)