finding family records in Scafati and Atrani

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
jgold1213

Re: finding family records in Scafati and Atrani

Post by jgold1213 »

I was in Atrani in 1961 when I was 5 years old. From what I remember, we stayed with a family that were relatives in some way to my grandmother. I think it was on a farm and I remember my mother saying that they exported to the US. I have two pictures from then-one of me with several kids and one of me with one little girl who looks very much like me. I think that this little girl lived on the farm, the others may have, too, but she was my age and we became friends so I remember her better. There is a chance that her name is Sophie. I made copies of the pictures and sent them along with my letter to the commune. I know it is a longshot, but since it is a small town, I had hoped that someone would remember the little girl and who she was. When I sent the letter, since I speak very little Italian, I translated into Italian with google translate, but sent along the English copy in case the translation was off.

I remember Atrani being a beautiful place and I think that most of my memories of Italy, no matter how vague at this point are of this town. I can't wait to return! We plan to see several cities while we are there, but Atrani is the one that I look forward to the most.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Atrani is still a very beautiful place, even if a it must have changed a lot since 1961, above all in the way of life of people. On the contrary, Scafati is a horrible town with a lot of traffic.
Well, when you are coming, let us know on the Forum. If I'm around, I'd like to know you, and if I can, I will give you some help.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
fargone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fargone »

My experience with this area is that clerks are not used to e-mailing, even if we are in the 3rd millennium...you can hope in an exception!
Do you know Atrani, or have you ever seen it in pictures?
fargone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fargone »

Hello jgold1213,
I'm Gabriele D'Apolito, an historical researcher from Salerno. I can help you in your research. If you need some informations, you can write me on my mail address (grldapolito@gmail.com)
Best regards, Gabriele.
fargone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fargone »

Hello jgold1213,
I'm Gabriele D'Apolito, an historical researcher from Salerno. I can help you in your research. If you need some informations, you can write me on my mail address (grldapolito@gmail.com)
Best regards, Gabriele.
vmilione

Post by vmilione »

Hello jgold1213. Were you able to find records in Scafati? I too have a great grandmother and great grandfather from the town and would appreciate any additional guidance you can provided on locating ancestral records there. Thanks.
jgold1213

Post by jgold1213 »

I did find records but not through the letters that I wrote to them, I never heard back. I had someone local obtain them for me. I was recently in Italy and wrote a generic letter and mailed it to about 20 people that had the same surnames as my grandparents. I found these addresses in the international telephone directory. I gave them my email and facebook page and have heard from about 5 or 6 from Scafati/Pompeii area. I have determined that 4 of them are 2nd cousins, grandchildren of my grandfather's brothers. Through them, I found that my grandfather had several more siblings that we didn't know about. I have also been told that there is a local paper for the area that everyone reads and it might be a good place to post a question, but I do not know the name of it. I will email the cousin that told me about it and let you know if I find out the name. I have not had any luck with either of my grandparents hometowns. I have mailed letters again, now that I have more accurate information to give to them. I am hoping for a response soon. Good luck!
vmilione

Post by vmilione »

Thank you. I appreciate any help. I have also contacted Gabriele D'Apolito, the fellow that had offerred assistance to you in the prior string. I can be reached at vmilione@nixonpeabody.com.
Pagano / Tria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pagano / Tria »

Hello!

I am also looking for records from Scafati. My great-great-grandparents Francesco "Frank" Pagano and Gelsomina "Jessie" Ferrara moved from there to Buffalo, New York.

Have there been any updates on getting records from that town?

Thanks!
Bridge03

Post by Bridge03 »

adelfio wrote: 14 May 2011, 20:55 This is the address that I used and got back records from Atrani
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Atrani
Snc Via Dei Dogi
84010 Atrani (SA)
Italy
Form Letters for records
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html obtenir prêt

Marty
Hello, thank you for the link
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Now they are online at

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/?q=gallery

If you can give some dates, we can look for you
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.