Do You Ever Need to show your US Passport as proof?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Do You Ever Need to show your US Passport as proof?

Post by grandpa77 »

A question for everyone who has gone through the appointment process and beyond (or knows):

Are there any consulates or Embassy which wants to see your US Passport or wants to verify that you are a US Citizen when trying to get Italian citizenship by decent?

Is your US birth certificate enough to prove an assumption that you're a US citizen or do they ask for more (like a passport)?

Do you ever have to provide your US passport to anyone during the entire process ?

Thanks everyone!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Do You Ever Need to show your US Passport as proof?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Whatever citizenship you are claiming to currently have, you will need to present proof of such in the form of a passport.

Since you are already dual citizen of the US and some South American country which you have not identified, you could conceivably present either of these as your claimed citizenship.

It is possible (although I really have no idea since I don't recall this coming up before) that Italian law requires you to list all current citizenships...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
NOLATom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NOLATom »

You will need a valid id to show proof of residence in the juridiction you are applying at. You will also need a valid id, preferably passport, but not required, when you get your Italian passport.
grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Post by grandpa77 »

I don't know if I should renounce us citizenship before or after my appointment. If I show my South American Passport only then doesn't that complicate matters ? Because I was not born in South America and none of my family is from South America. So doesn't renouncing my US citizenship break the chain to Italian Citizenship? Because none of my family emigrated to South America but to America.

Hypothetical question: What if I'm applying through my grandfather and my father born in the US renounced and took another citizenship. Wouldn't that break the chain because the Italian citizenship transfer occurred in the US?

My logic says the chain to Italian citizenship is broken. Does anyone know where I can get an official opinion about renouncing the citizenship where the Italian citizenship transfer occurred?

I spoke to some attorneys who specialize in this and they tell me it does not matter but then they ask me "when did your grandparents come to South America". I tell them they never did! People don't understand what I'm trying to do and I'm frustrated because I want to renounce my US citizenship this year but I don't want to complicate my Italian citizenship application which will be ready next year.