old certificates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

old certificates

Post by garypeg »

I used a copy of my grandfather's death certificate (issued 1995) for the NYS apostille (not NYC). Do I need a new copy or are these older ones ok? I am planning to go through Philadelphia. I just had a flash that I read somewhere they want recently issued docs.

Thanks!

gary
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Re: old certificates

Post by garypeg »

I found this at http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/ (could not remember where I saw it but this is probably where).

All certificates must be new “CERTIFIED COPY” a.k.a. “LONG FORM” or “FULL FORM” OR “BOOK COPY” (not “abstract”). These certificates must be obtained from the Office of Vital Statistics of the County or from the Stte Vital Statistics Office in which the birth/marriage/death took place. Certificates reporting only the “County” of birth will not be accepted. You must request that the Vital Statistics Authority state the CITY OF BIRTH. http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/

New is in bold type.

'New' could mean the new type of document called certified or long form.

Before I reorder the death certificate of my grandfather, I would like to make sure it is necessary or at least recommended.

If I do reorder can I use the same apostille?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Most states have limits as to how old a document may be and still be eligible for apostille. See New York's requirements here http://www.dos.state.ny.us/corps/apostille.html.

No, apostilles cannot be reused. An apostille is created for and attached to a specific document. The entire point is to certify that the attached document is genuine and was issued/signed by a government official who had the legal capacity to do so. If people could simply attach an existing apostille to any document they chose to, well that just wouldn't work out, now would it?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Thanks for the reply. NYS apostilled the document and I have it in my possession. Do you think the consulate (Philly) will have a problem with the age of it- dated 1995.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

garypeg wrote:Thanks for the reply. NYS apostilled the document and I have it in my possession. Do you think the consulate (Philly) will have a problem with the age of it- dated 1995.
No, I don't believe it will be an issue.

But each consulate marches to its own drummer, so your mileage (tempo?) may vary.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Ok, thanks. I would imagine if the doc is apostilled the age does not matterm unless the doc were in bad condition.