Locating Marriage Licence

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lorene
Rookie
Rookie

Locating Marriage Licence

Post by lorene »

I need a copy of my parents' marriage certificate. I know that they were married in a church in San Francisco, California in 1944. However, CA wants a county name and will not guarantee that they can locate a certificate in the search without more info and I still must pay the fee. (ok).

I also know my parents were married in a civil ceremony the year before in 1943, but do not know exactly where, supposedly outside Garfield, NJ, possibly in Maryland?

Without this document I am going no where fast.
I have tried Vital Statistic seaches in CA., nothing pops up without more facts. Have no one alive to tell me.

Any suggestions? Should I purchase help thru one of these record websites and which one is most reliable fo rmy money?

Thanks again IG!
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Locating Marriage Licence

Post by KarenChristino »

You could start at FamilySearch.org which is free https://familysearch.org/search/collect ... Type=Vital

It appears that they have both NJ and MD marriage records. See if you can track them down there. If not, you can check out if they list any marriage records for people with similar names at Ancestry.com. You don't need to subscribe for the initial search, but they sometimes do list a lot that will have nothing to do with you (and you won't know the details until you get the subscription!) It's not expensive to subscribe for a month when you know you'll have time to do your searching. But you need to remember to unsubscribe!