numerous ?'s, where to get marriage APP/License?not certs.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chadl
Rookie
Rookie

numerous ?'s, where to get marriage APP/License?not certs.

Post by chadl »

I will be applying in Chicago and all the below took place in Cook County, IL.

1)I need to get certified copies of the marriage APPLICATION or LICENSE (not certificates). The marriage certificates I received do not have places of births, therefore, the consulate needs copies of the applications or licenses.

2) Where can I get BOTH (marriage certificates and either the app/license)for a marriage that happened in Cook County in 1916?

3) Rumor has it that my Greatgrandmother was born at home and might not have a birth certificate. I have sent requests to the comune in Italy without any response thus far. If this is the case, does this void all hopes do you think?

Thank you so much for all your help!!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: numerous ?'s, where to get marriage APP/License?not cert

Post by johnnyonthespot »

1) Marriage license records may simply not be available; if this is the case, a letter stating this fact from the Cook County Clerk's office should be sufficient. Contact them directly and inquire: http://www.cookcountyclerk.com/vitalrec ... fault.aspx

2) See above.

3) Nearly all of our ancestors were born at home; even here in the US, my mother - the youngest of 10 children - was the only one born in a hospital, in 1925.

Born at home or not, Italy had strict birth registration rules which date back to 1865 at the latest and the early 1800's for many parts of the country.

Not all comuni are responsive to requests for info and many of them will respond if you follow their requirements exactly but will otherwise ignore you. Can you tell us the name of the comune and the complete details regarding how you made your request?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
chadl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chadl »

Thanks for the feedback. I contacted the Cook County Clerk's office and they said that the Marriage Certificate and Marriage License are the same thing. I requested the Marriage Application from them since I have the others (both for the 1916 record).

The comuni is in Modugno, Bari
First attempt was over a year ago and they responded by mail with my request form and comments saying no records found. But then I realized the year of her (my GGM) birth was not correct.

Second attempt was about 4 months ago: I had an Italian friend of mine call and they said to e-mail the request. He wrote up why I wanted it and gave the information of her parents names and all the correct birthdates.

Third attempt 2 months ago: re-emailed the same previous request

Fourth attempt was late last week: I mailed in a copy of her marriage certificate I found online, My passport copy, and the email letter from the previous emails with a self addressed envelope.

I feel like 4 attempts is already bordering the "annoyance" territory so I don't want to bother them anymore. But, I believe I need this birth certificate.

The only response I received from them so far was from the first attempt. Hopefully the respond to the mailed letter. Any other ideas?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Write to the Mayor asking for his intervention. There is a sample letter on line.
Accludo una copia della mia lettera addi 22 febbraio 1996. [Optional-Questa e la seconda lettera che Le invio in quanto non ho ancora ricevuto risposta.]

Dopo tre mesi non ho ancora ricevuto alcuna risposta.

Temo che la mia lettera sia andata persa o sia stata dimenticata.

Vorrei chiederLe, ai sensi della legge 241/1990 sul diritto d accesso ai documenti amministrativi, se puo gentilmente interessarsi a questo caso, affinche io possa ottenere una riposta entro un tempo ragionevole.

La ringrazio per la sua gentilezza. Attendo con fiducia una risposta.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
chadl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chadl »

Really Italysearcher? You don't think that's too strong of a letter? And write it to the Mayor???
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

No its the law in Italy you have the right to the documents. Can I see the letter you sent.Did you send registered mail? Did you send money with your request for postage and fees.....

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Just a question have you gone to Family History Library and ordered and looked at the films from Registri dello stato civile, Modugno (Bari), 1809-1900 to make sure the records are there?
Films from Modugno Bari
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... 2C+Modugno+++

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
chadl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chadl »

This was the attempt #2 by e-mail: I included an attached proper request form provided by the Chicago consulate, my passport and a copy of her unofficial marriage certificate.

Third attempt was very similar (only did not provide alternatives to name and only 1 birth year) and Fourth was through snail mail from Spain with a provided self addressed to US envelope. In my original request, that came back "no record found", I provided 5 Euros but this last time I did not send any money.

Sono un cittadino americano che intende fare richiesta di cittadinanza italiana presso la vostra amministrazione. Per questo necessito del CERTIFICATO DI NASCITA della mia bisnonna. Circa un anno fa ho inviato la documentazione ma mi fu risposto che la persona non risultava nata presso il vostro comune. Probabilmente c’ e’ un errore nella data di nascita, quindi vi prego cortesemente di controllare ancora. Il nome e’ il seguente

MARIE (o MARY, o MARIA) LOVECCHIO, nata nel 1899 o 1900?

Il marito si chiamava DOMENICO LACALAMITO (1888-1942) e il certificato e’ gia’ stato reperito presso il vostro comune.

I genitori si chiamavano Paolo (Paul) Lovecchio (1868-1941) e Teresa (-1913)

Avrei bisogno dell’ ESTRATTO PER RIASSUNTO DELL’ATTO DI NASCITA o del certificato in MODELLO INTERNAZIONALE plurilingue. Comprenda prego i nomi completi di entrambi i genitori sul modello.

Potete mandarmelo a questo indirizzo xxxxx

In attesa di una vostra pronta risposta, saluto cordialmente,
chadl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chadl »

adelfio: Have Igone to Family History Library, no. This is the first time I have heard about it and I'm currently outside the US. From a quick glance on the site there is no way to do a search online correct?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You have to go to a Family History Library
FHL LOcator
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Ordering Films
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center
Just to make sure if the birth act is there

Marty

Marty
chadl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chadl »

Thanks for the info on the Family History Library. I'll have a look.