Emigration from Italy to Brasil

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
scottphillips2

Emigration from Italy to Brasil

Post by scottphillips2 »

Good day!

I am going to be starting to try and find records of my wife's grandfather who emigrated from Vinchiaturo, Italy to Minas Giras, Brasil in 1898. He worked the mines for about 5 years and left to return to Italy.

Does anyone know if he would have needed exit papers from Italy? Would the government have kept a copy in Italy?

Any ideas about the location of immigration papers in Brasil?

Thanks!

Scott
RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Emigration from Italy to Brasil

Post by RussoTiesi »

Hi, Scott,

We're in sort of the same boat, so to speak, as I'm trying to find out about my Italian ancestors' brief stay in Argentina.

I can't tell you anything specifically about Brazil (or even records of exit from Italy), but this is the strategy I'm trying at the moment:

1) I joined a genealogy forum on the South American country I'm interested in and asked questions similar to yours.

2) I used the South American immigrant database at http://www.cemla.com/search.php#.

Also, if you live near a large university, you might try contacting the Spanish department or the library and ask if they can recommend some books/databases to point you in the right direction.

Best of luck to you.

Jim
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

There may be something in his state military records if you want to track them down. My GGF in Avellino appeared to have gotten a release to leave for America in 1895 (indicated on these records), though my GGF from Potenza did not have such an notation in 1891.
Granadaiscool

Post by Granadaiscool »

Can you give me the link of the SA Genealogy site?
RussoTiesi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RussoTiesi »

The SA genealogy site you would be interested is at http://genforum.genealogy.com/brazil/
Researching following surnames: Russo Tiesi, Terranella, Randazzo, Pancamo; and the following towns: Chiusa Sclafani and Campofelice di Fitalia