Google News Archive R.I.P.

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
dvaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Google News Archive R.I.P.

Post by dvaccaro »

as of today, August 17, 2011, Google has disabled their News Archive search. not sure how many of you used this amazing historic newspaper resource, but i am crushed. they announced a while back that they would be discontinuing additions to the newspaper image database, but why they would eliminate the advanced search functionality while the images are all still there is beyond me. preparing to wipe out the whole thing? hoping to sell the images to Ancestry.com? whatever the reason, it is a sad day for geneaologists and free-database researchers everywhere.

http://news.google.com/newspapers
~ Santa Ninfa, Trapani, Sicily ~
~ San Nicola da Crissa, Catanzaro, Italy ~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Google News Archive R.I.P.

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Well, that does suck! I was using the newspaper archives jut a few days ago and have done so many times in the past.

Oh well...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

No!! That's terrible! I have things from there in my favorites that I wasn't able to save to my computer!

I can't believe that. I just used it last week. Well, I hope they do, at least, sell it to Ancestry.com.

Edited to add:

Well, at least my favorites still take me to the images. That's good..

Edited:

Hey!! I found a loophole! My links still take me to the images, and when I use the search bar at the top of the page, I can still look through the archives. Try it with this link:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ZS ... i-76&hl=en
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
dvaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dvaccaro »

yes squigy, that that search field DOES work, and can be of some use, but just yesterday i was using the "advanced search" page and finding oodles more than with this one. as of this morning, my "advanced search" page bookmark now immediately forwards directly to http://www.google.com . so stupid.
dvaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dvaccaro »

UPDATE: still no 'advanced search' page available, but satisfactory results can be obtained using this format in the search bar "keyword/name" source:"partial paper name"...

just passing the info along.
Petrojo

Post by Petrojo »

A while back in these newspapers I found 3 pictures of my great grandfather and his bowling team. It is unfortunate the thought of not being able to browse through the archives! :|