I need to know how an Italian would pronounce the last name DeLucia. I pronouced it as "Day-loo-see-ah" and was told that pronunciation sounds Spanish rather than Italian. I need help please!
Thank you,
Brandy
DeLucia pronunciation
Re: DeLucia pronunciation
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: DeLucia pronunciation
lilbit528 wrote:I need to know how an Italian would pronounce the last name DeLucia. I pronouced it as "Day-loo-see-ah" and was told that pronunciation sounds Spanish rather than Italian. I need help please!
Thank you,
Brandy
The name is correctly written "De Lucia".
The oddcast site linked to by Lee pronounces it correctly.
The breakdown:
The "e" De is pronounced in the Italian manner, what English speakers would call a "long a". Hence, "Day"
The "u" is pronounced as "oo", the Lu syllable then sounds like the Lu in the English "Lucy"
The "ci" syllable is pronounced like the chee in cheese
The final syllable is the letter "a", pronounced as an English "short a" or even "ahh"
Finally, in most Italian pronunciation, the next to last syllable is emphasized, hence DAY lu-CI-a.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: DeLucia pronunciation
Thank you both so much for the informative answers!!!

