Pilla Family History - Pesco Sannita

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Rushi30

Pilla Family History - Pesco Sannita

Post by Rushi30 »

Hi, I am doing some research for a friend of mine with Italian roots. Her grandmother is Carolina Pigan nee Pilla, she lives in the uk and is belived to be around 76 years of age, but doesnt know her actual date of birth as she was given some documentation when she arrived in the uk with an estimated age on it during the war!
Her parents were Nicola and Maria Pilla from Pesco sannita Benevento, she has a sister Reperada, and a brother Stefano, and another brother died when he was 5 of whooping cough. Please if anyone has any information, on how to obtain any birth records or marriage records would be great.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Pilla Family History - Pesco Sannita

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Well, the Italian telephone directory shows that there are Pilla's located in Pesco Sannita today - a good sign which bears out some of your friend's story. http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &om=0&td=2

Pesco Sannita during the war years had a population of about 3,100 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesco_Sannita) so we might imagine a birth rate of perhaps 30 to 90 children per year. With reasonably small numbers, there is, in my opinion, an increased chance that the town's official will be willing to look through multiple years of birth records. :)

That said, your best choice may be to write to Pesco Sannita on your friends behalf and request a copy of her birth certificate; however before following that lead - is the grandmother still an Italian citizen?

If so, it might be easiest to contact the Italian Embassy in London and request their assistance. http://www.amblondra.esteri.it/Ambasciata_Londra
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Rushi30

Post by Rushi30 »

Thankyou, I will let her know and see what we can find out, Im dont think her grandmother is an italian citizen anymore, but Ill check, thankyou for your quick reply
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Grandmother can write to Pesco Sannita to request her birth certificate. I am not certain that this would be the ideal format, but it should work; perhaps someone might offer a better option.

06 settembre 2011 [lower case is the correct format for month names in italian]

[grandmother's name
and return address]

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Pesco Sannita
Piazza Largo Municipio
82020 Pesco Sannita (BN)
ITALY

Egregi Signori,

Vorrei chiedere una copia del certificato di nascita in modello plurilingue e copia integrale dell'atto di nascita. Vi comunico i nostri dati:

Cognome: PILLA
Nome: CAROLINA
Data di Nascita: incerto; circa 1935
Luogo di Nascita: PESCO SANNITA
Genitori: PILLA NICOLA e [incerto] MARIA

Grazie per il vostro aiuto.

Distinti saluti,

[grandmother's signature]
This requests both a birth certificate (certificato di nascita) and also a photocopy of the original entry in the registry of births (copia integrale ...). The registry entry will contain information such as the time and place of birth, her parent's names, ages, occupations, and places of birth, etc.

The grandmother will need to include a copy of her identification; the rules for issuing these documents in Italy are stricter in the case of someone who is likely to still be living
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Rushi30

Post by Rushi30 »

Thankyou, you have been a great help I will pass all this on to her, and see how it goes from there, thankyou again