Caterinella/Demeo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mbanting

Caterinella/Demeo

Post by mbanting »

I am trying to find out information regarding my great grandparents. My great grandfather was named Gian Baptist Caterinella and my great grandmother was Philomena Demeo. They were born in or around Volturara Irpino (or Serino)in the Avellino province in 1865-66. Any information what be of assistance. The name Caterinella does not appear to be common; the Demeo name seems easier. I have not been able to find them in any ships manifests to date but am still looking. They settled in Ontario but I don't know where they landed.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Caterinella/Demeo

Post by mfjp »

Hello,

Given their age, I also checked the Castle Gardens manifests... (manifests before 1892...) and nothing for the name Caterinella. I have a subscription to Ancestry.com and the results are nil for Caterinella...

You are right though, the name De Meo exists in Volturara... there is a ship record for a Filomena De Meo... birthdates are way off...

Do you know if they settled in the USA before they moved to Ontario?

I checked the Pier 21 website for manifests - and surname search as well (though records are from 1928 to 1971?) and nothing...

If you are in the Toronto area, you can maybe visit the Archives of Ontario 77 Grenville Street, Toronto but phone first and get info... (416) 327-1600 OR 1-800-668-9933 (toll free line for Ontario residents) Email: reference@archives.gov.on.ca

They will be moving to a new building later this year, but records can still be researched from the Grenville location.
Gian Baptist Caterinella
You could try to research with other variations of this given name... GiovanBattista, GiamBattista, Giovanni Battista...

Are there other surname variations of Caterinella??

Could you tell us more about where they settled first... their children, birthdates... siblings... where they married...

mfjp
mbanting

Post by mbanting »

They came to Canada probably around 1893 and settled in Ottawa until 1900 when they went to Sault Ste. Marie. I know that one aunt was born in 1895 in Ottawa and she was not the oldest child. I cannot find them in the city directories of Ottawa during that time. I was told that they lived under a bridge. Philomena's brothers lived in Ottawa for a short time and then moved to Fort William which is now part of Thunder Bay. They were all in the grocery business in Ottawa but I don't know the name.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi mbanting,

Not sure what I found here...

http://img275.echo.cx/img275/4420/filomena7gf.jpg

Here is a manifest with the name Ford Caterinella (see line 71) and a few DeMeo's...(lines 73 to 76) including a Filomena DeMeo, daughter of Alessandro DeMeo...

It's a little late in the evening here and haven't really reviewed this... but just wanted you to see it.

Name:   Filomena Demeo
Arrival Date:   3 Feb 1891
Estimated Birth Year:   1866
Port of Departure:   Marseilles, France and Naples, Italy
Destination:   New York
Place of Origin:   Italy
Ship Name:   Burgundia
Port of Arrival:   New York
Nativity:   England
Line:   31
Microfilm Roll:   561
List Number:   128

There are other DeMeo coming from areas such as Pacentro (the Abruzzi region, and other places I need to figure out...

Here's another DeMeo manifest ... just can't make out the name of the place in Italy...

http://img261.echo.cx/img261/3750/demeo6di.jpg

see lines 2, 7, 11....

... could be from the Volturara, Irpino area... just can't focus.... 8O

Will check further... I guess your ancestors worked in the mines? Such cold winters there too...

mfjp
mbanting

Post by mbanting »

That is wonderful information. Filomena's father was Alessandro and she was born in 1865 so the estimated time of birth seems right. I have looked for so long to find any info. Now to find her husband (last name Catarinella).Thanks, thanks, thanks.
mbanting

Post by mbanting »

I am not sure the names of my grandfather's parents however, I found out that there was a Ferdmando Catarinella who died in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario in 1907. He was 103 years of age. He might be the person whose name looks like Ford Catarinella---possibly my grandfather's father and wife (Nicolette). I haven't had a chance to find the microfilms for his death. I have to order them from Toronto.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I found out that there was a Ferdmando Catarinella who died in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario in 1907. He was 103 years of age.
Wow.. 103!!

I will try to get a better copy of "Ford" or maybe Ferdinando's manifest and see what name is actually there... Will review further...

Are you from the Toronto area?

mfjp
mbanting

Post by mbanting »

I'm in the Ottawa area.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I have not be able to find his manifest yet... very few results for Caterinella... (I do not have access to Ancestry's British records...)

This is how Ferd is listed at Ancestry... I was searching with Caterinella... and kept getting zero results... looks like they may have been born in England..

Name:   Ferd Caterinalla
Estimated Birth Year:   1824
Line:   26

and

Name:   Nicolette Caterinalla Wife Of
Estimated Birth Year:   1827
Line:   27

Other name variations... but not the one...

Name:   Giovanni Catrenello
SSN:   121-01-2729
Last Residence:   11375  Flushing, Queens, New York, United States of America
Born:   24 Jun 1891
Died:   Jan 1966
State (Year) SSN issued:   New York (Before 1951 )

Whether you spell it Caterinella or Catarinella.. they all seem to come from the town Lavello, Italy

Here is a map....Lavello, Basilicata IT - to Volturara Irpina, Campania IT

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/euro ... %253d%253d

Here's an example of a really messed up transcription.... not the one tho...
First Name: Eiouanin (you would never know it was... Giovanni)
Last Name: Caterinello
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Lauelli, Italy (Lavello, Italy)
Date of Arrival: December 03, 1912
Age at Arrival:  21y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Cincinnati
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0011

wish I could do more...

mfjp
mbanting

Post by mbanting »

You've been a great help. It's interesting that the Nativity is England...strange with the Italian last name. You have given a micorfilm Roll Number. What is the microfilm from?
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

The info was provided by Ancestry.com..

"Source Information:
Ancestry.com. New York Passenger Lists, 1851-1891 [database online]. Provo, Utah: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2003. Original data: New York. Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897. Micropublication M237. Rolls # 95-580. National Archives, Washington, D.C.
"
--------------
Best bet... phone a Family History Center near you to see if they already have this in their library... "Castle Gardens" manifests...

You could also order Family History film at a Public Library near you...
But then again phone your Library first... to see which place has the film readers and film service with the Latter-Day Saints...

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

If you want a better copy of this manifest, I can email... just send me a private message...
mfjp