Mother's name missing on Italian birth certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Mother's name missing on Italian birth certificate

Post by italiangal36 »

I got my great grandmother's birth certificate from the commune of Messina today and noticed her mother's name was missing on it. The father's name was on it, but in the section where the mother's name is supposed to be, it was blank. Any ideas of why they would not have listed her mother's name?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Mother's name missing on Italian birth certificate

Post by liviomoreno »

Could you, please, post the certificate so tat we can see.
jack182183

Post by jack182183 »

They might not have been legally married...meaning their marriage was not registered at the civil level but only performed in the church level. (Or they weren't married at all.)
Do you have a marriage record for them?
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italiangal36 »

I don't have a marriage record and I haven't requested one yet, but this is an interesting thought. Strange that they would list the father and not the mother though. Usually it is the other way around. I'll try to scan it in and post it soon. I don't speak Italian, so maybe there is explanation that I missed. The online translators only get you so far. :-)
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italiangal36 »

Here is the birth record I received from Italy for my great grandmother Nunzia. Is it possible her mom died during Nunzia's birth and this is why they didn't list it?
Nunzia Birth Certificate Messina 1.jpg
Nunzia Birth Certificate Messina 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Just like I said, either they weren't married or the mother chose not to be named. She might have been a widow or unmarried. He might have been married to someone else or she might have been. Get Benedetto's birth record and see who he did marry and more impotantly WHEN. If it was after her birth they probably just didn't bother correcting her birth record later. Also look at her marriage record. It might give her mother's name.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italiangal36 »

Thanks. Interesting thoughts. I'll write Messina and see if they have record of Benedetto's marriage.

BTW: Nunzia's marriage certificate does list her mom's name.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello, :D

Just a suggestion if you haven't done it..why not rent the film containing the civil records at a Family History Center near you instead of writing to Messina. If you find your civil records, you will get to see the image of the actual record and not information transcribed onto a form.
http://tinyurl.com/3hqczut

https://familysearch.org/locations

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If Nunzia's marraige record shows her mother's name it would seem that my comments are valid. You may find that her parents married up to 10 years after her birth.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italiangal36 »

It certainly makes sense. On a side note, I'm not sure it matters, but one thing I should have mentioned is my great grandparents, Nunzia and her husband, were married in the U.S.

Paul, thanks for reminding me about the Family History Center. I'll give it a shot.