Not sure what to do with this comune response

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
TheInvisibleFisherman

Not sure what to do with this comune response

Post by TheInvisibleFisherman »

Good evening everyone!

After much research I think I was finally able to track down my GGF's birth certificate.

This is the letter that I sent to the Comune di Forino (Province of Avellino)
They replied on the same page, with a handwritten message at the bottom of the same page.

http://oi55.tinypic.com/mr9ybs.jpg

Bascially,

1. I need some help translating the handwritten message at the bottom.

I think it is says "Nell'anagrafe del 'something' Comune 'something' essere nato Zirolli Sabato Michele figlio di Salvatore e Vivenzio Teresa (nato il 15 febbraio 1852) atto N.15
forino 8/9/2011"

I think this is right but I'm not sure what the 'something's are.

and....

2. Why did they respond this way versus actually giving me a copy of the birth certificate?
How would I actually request a copy of this birth certificate?

Thanks for any help,
Chris.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Not sure what to do with this comune response

Post by jennabet »

They are telling you that the Anagrafe of the comune found a son born to that couple but his name is Sabato Michele and that he was born in 1852.

If you think it's your GGF you should write back, attach a copy of their note, and ask them to send you the estratto for that person.

I do think they could have taken a little more time to explain it better, though.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

When you request a birth record you should never include the surname of the mother in the name of the person.
As far as the anagrafe is concerned the person you are looking for has the surname of Vivenzio. I am impressed they even bothered to look for the other surname (double barrelled surnames are rare in the South).
The first name was off and the birth year.
Write again and request the record again. This time giving the correct information as they provided.
Zirolli Sabato Michele figlio di Salvatore e Vivenzio Teresa (nato il 15 febbraio 1852) atto N.15
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

E' giusto di dare il cognome della madre ma non in quel modo.

Meglio fare così (better to write it in this way)

Cognome, nome , nome de padre e cognome e nome della madre. data oppure anno di nascita.

Surname, name, first name of father, surname and name of mother, date or year(s) of birth
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Sabino, I suggested the city could have done better because we received a nice, properly typed letter on a separate sheet of paper from Michele Vaccaro, Uficio Comune di Platania, Catanzaro explaining that the ancestor we were looking for was born on a different date and that his mother's first name was Michelina and not Madelena and asking us to confirm that it was the same person. So they can do better -- if they choose to.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

This is no excuse. My comune would do a better job too. 175,000 abitanti.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The anagrafe/stato civile office in a small town also takes care of census (we just completed one Oct 9th and they will have to follow up on anyone who did not complete the forms) the AIRE (residents outside the country) among other things-
If they take the time to wite you a proper letter, between dealing with the walk-ins looking for birth, marriage and death certificates, identity card renewals, change of address or civil status you might wait extra weeks for your reply. Better to have what you got, than nothing at all, which does happen in many towns. Some towns are not even equipped with computers and some of theose that are are so slow it is painful.
Ann Tatangelo
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Se vuoi veramente sapere che cosa pensa una straniera dall'Italia, leggi il mio libro. E' un paese meraviglioso ma certe cose sembra dal secolo scorso.

Se vuoi, mandmi un messagio privato e to do il mio numero telefonica così chiaccheriamo dal tuo problemi di informazione americano.
Ann Tatangelo
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

.....Scusa ma cosa stai dicendo ?
"Che ci sono Comuni in Italia che non hanno il computer" ???L 'Italia non è la foresta amazzonica.Sabino
Rookie......

Ciao Sabino. E vero! Sometimes I wonder where they get their ideas about Italy -- but then again it's hard to convince some Americans that the rest of the world has caught up to the USA and that life does exist outside it's borders. Italy, for example is more connected via the Internet than any other European country.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

And yes Sabino, I also agree it's best to give as much information about the family as possible, including parents and names of all siblings as well and their estimated birth dates. Cognomi in the provinces can be very common. Giving lots of information about an individual family will help the comune connect you to the right one.
TheInvisibleFisherman

Post by TheInvisibleFisherman »

sry for typing this but lol!

lol to what sprung up out of my thread jajaja