Clarification for obtaining citizenship via GGF-GF-M-me!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Clarification for obtaining citizenship via GGF-GF-M-me!

Post by trinasignoriello »

First off, thank you in advance. So many of you are complete experts in this stuff and just thinking about what I have to do makes me nervous!

I am going to obtain citiznship as explained in the title. Now, do I also need to get the BC for the SPOUSE of my GGF? And of the SPOUSE of my GF? And the SPOUSE of my mother?
Or is it enough to get the BC and DC for GFF and GF, BC for Mother as well as the marriage certificates for all 3?

Also, my GF's name is sometimes spelled Michele and other times Michael. nightmare! i am waiting on his BC which will come from Pennsylvania, as will his DC. From there, I will have to somehow figure out how to make changes because at some point, my GGF listed him as a son, but with different name spellings. Any advice?

Thanks again!
TheInvisibleFisherman

Re: Clarification for obtaining citizenship via GGF-GF-M-me!

Post by TheInvisibleFisherman »

I actually have the same question too. There is something that I do not seem to understand. According to the websites of many Italian consulates, the spouses' birth certificates are all required. However I hear all the time that people are able to get away with not showing non-direct line documents. So in the end, what do they do? Do they just schedule an appointment and in it tell the interviewer "I was unable to get my ancestor's spouse's birth certificate." ???
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

If your ancestors were born and married in Italy, the non-direct line documents are not important. Consulates are more interested in non-direct line documents when the ancestor is not Italian or was born outside of Italy. Reason: A non-Italian female ancestor could have been previously married and have children from a former spouse who would not be entitled to Italian citizenship.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

If I were you I would focus on recent experiences of applicants at the consulate where you intend to apply. If there is still confusion, why not just have the documents on hand in a separate folder, just in case they are needed? If you can't locate a document, then you just inform the official. If it becomes critical to your case, they'll let you know.
TheInvisibleFisherman

"Reason: A non-Italian female ancestor could have been previously married and have children from a former spouse who would not be entitled to Italian citizenship."

Sorry I'm beating the bush here, but won't the next ancestor's birth certificate have the names of the father and mother on it anyways?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

It would depend on who the mother names as the father.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

when I applied last december they asked for all the birth certificates including ones married in italy. they did not ask for the death certificates though. there was only one because my grandma is still alive but they sure did ask for the births. this was the nyc consulate. Kontessa is right look up post for where you are applying and try to get the documents anyway
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trinasignoriello »

Thanks for the helpful info.
I am applying in NYC and will obtain all BCs and MCs and death certificates, as best as I can.

My question had a part II:

Also, my GF's name is sometimes spelled Michele and other times Michael. nightmare! i am waiting on his BC which will come from Pennsylvania, as will his DC. From there, I will have to somehow figure out how to make changes because at some point, my GGF listed him as a son, but with different name spellings. Any advice?

I will add that GGF Enrico is also spelled Henrico on one or two docs. Do these need to be changed or since they are a direct translation, they'll accept them?

Any other advice for a New Yorker??

Thank you!
TheInvisibleFisherman

I dont live in New York so i do not have first hand experience. But based on many threads in this forum there should be no problem with the Henrico/Enrico situation. However some anglicized names may have to be amended.