Am I eligible for Italian citizenship under these premises?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
pelliccioni

Am I eligible for Italian citizenship under these premises?

Post by pelliccioni »

Hey guys, was wondering you all can help me determine if I am eligible to apply for Italian citizenship...

My grandfather was born in Italy in 1922 but was made a citizen of the USA in 1946 which was before my father's birth.

Does this make me ineligible given that my grandfather became a US citizen BEFORE my dad was born?

Thanks so much in advance for the help.

Ryan Pelliccioni
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Am I eligible for Italian citizenship under these premis

Post by ricbru »

Ryan, you can become italian citizen via blood right, only if you move to Italy, where you will be a legal resident, and after 3 years you apply for your citizenship here in Italy, only then you will become italian citizen.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
pelliccioni

Post by pelliccioni »

Thanks for the response, Riccardo...One more quick question for you though since you seem to be willing to be helpful (and I very much appreciate that)

Would I be eligible had my grandfather become US citizen after my father's birth?

One more concern...I am not sure when my grandfather was naturalized, I only have his Certificate of Citizenship. Would the date on his certificate technically be his naturalization date or is it possible to be naturalized before one becomes gains citizenship.

I very much appreciate your help, Riccardo!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

If the italian ancestor who first stepped the soil of USA became US citizen before the birth of his child, this interrupt the chain of italian citizenship from grandfather-father-you.
If your grandfather became US citizen after the birth of his child, the chain of italian citizenship is not interrupt.
So, the date on the certificate of citizenship, is the official date when he became US citizen, I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

what about your mother? You can't got through your father but was your mother Italian? If so you may be able to go through at side.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

If you use your (italian ?) mother line, her child (you) has to be born after january 1st 1948, so in this case you can apply for citizenship
Riccardo
DK101

Post by DK101 »

Hello all

I just want to mentioned but it seems that it's to easy.

If your grandfather has been naturalized before your father's birth and your grandfather came to US from Italy why don't you go one generation lower?
So if your grandfather father was Italian, had Italian citizenship at the time of birth of your grandfather (which is born in Italy) and you can find all documents necessary to prove that, you are automatically eligible for Italian citizenship Jus Sanguinis, through paternal line.

Regards

DK