Unusual marriage cert - long

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Unusual marriage cert - long

Post by sforza »

I think I have the basic gyst of this, but the real story is in the details. This is an unusual marriage cert apparently registering in Palermo the NYC marriage of Luigi Manganaro and Fiorentina Tomaselli. The marriage was 1867, the registration of the atto in Palermo occurred in 1868. Luigi was a commercial sea captain, and perhaps they were visiting NYC when they married, but were allowed to register the marriage in Palermo given they weren't US residents and were not intent on staying. I was hoping to find info on the parentage of Luigi, but as long as this cert is, it is remarkably sparse on details on the groom - I don't think it's in there, but am hoping I've overlooked it. If someone could help translate the cert, I'd be grateful. In the meantime, I've contacted the NYC church mentioned in the atto for a copy of the original church cert. I don't know if they'll have records going back that far.
Attachments
fiorentina luigi marriage cert-2.jpg
fiorentina luigi marriage cert-1.jpg
fiorentina luigi marriage cert.jpg
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Unusual marriage cert - long

Post by liviomoreno »

Groom Luigi Manganaro
Bride Fiorentina Tomaselli daughter of Emmanuele and of Marianna Antico
Marriage date 1867 June 20 - New York Church of St Antonio da Padova
Registered in Palermo 12 JUly 1868 on request of Fiorentina's parents in order to legalize it in Italy
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Thanks!
So nothing on the groom's parentage? Also, anything on why they were in NYC?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

"No" to both questions...
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Thanks again. One more question: On the first page, it seems to state that the person who submitted the info to the stato civile in Palermo submitted an Italian translation of an English-language document. Does it indicate what the document was - ie, a church marriage certificate? Or was it a NYC civil registration? Thanks again for being so helpful...
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

It wasn't unusual to have any civil act registered in Italy. I even had my marriage in Toronto registered in Italy.
I have seen in both civil and parish records evidence of births, deaths and marriages in other countries registered either civilly or in the parish records.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Hi Ann!
That's good to know. It was the first I've come across it in my research. I was hoping the cert wld give more info, tho. Ironically, the "average" 19th c. Marriage cert I've consulted is much shorter but also more informative than this one appears to be...
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The marriage took place in the Church of Sant' Antonio da Padova in New York with the rite of the Roman Catholic Church.
The original marriage certificate was translated in Italian as follows:

"In nomine Domine - Amen - Il presente vale a certificare che nel ventesimo giorno di Giugno dell'anno del Sigore 1867 in questa Chiesa di Santo Antonio da Padova nella città di Nuova York ho unito in sacro matrimonio Luigi Manganaro e Fiorentina Tomaselli secindo i riti della Santa Chiesa Cattolica Romana. In fede ... vi ho .... il mio nome e viho affisso il suggello della Chiesa in questo .... giorno X Marzo 1868. Reverendo Eugenio Pagani O.S.F."
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The church marriage record should give the name of the baptismal parish of the bride & groom.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

That's my hope - if they still have it: that church was founded a year before Fior & Luigi married there in 1867 - so who knows... I requested a search last week and eagerly await a response.