Ellis Island 2nd try

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by VaDeb »

California Death index 1940-1997
This has to be the mother.
Name: GLAVIANO, ANTOINETTE SULLI
Social Security #: 0
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 28 Dec 1861
Birthplace: OTHER COUNTRY
Death Date: 29 Jan 1942
Death Place: SANTA CLARA
Mother's Maiden Name:
Father's Surname: SULLI

This has to be the mother.

ROCK, CARMELA MARY
Social Security #: 564057093
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 5 Jul 1895
Birthplace: OTHER COUNTRY
Death Date: 3 Jul 1981
Death Place: SANTA CLARA
Mother's Maiden Name: SULLA
Father's Surname: GLAVIANO

GLAVIANO, ATANASIO
Social Security #: 554052095
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 22 Feb 1893
Birthplace: OTHER COUNTRY
Death Date: 24 Dec 1991
Death Place: SANTA CLARA
Mother's Maiden Name: SULLA
Father's Surname:



Debbie
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by VaDeb »

Same index. These look lke they must also fit into this family:

Name: DELLAMAGGIORE, JANE MARIE
Social Security #: 546107897
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 7 Dec 1911
Birthplace: MISSOURI
Death Date: 8 Oct 1987
Death Place: SANTA CLARA
Mother's Maiden Name: GLAVIANO
Father's Surname: DAUGENTO

Name: DELLA, JANE MARIE
Social Security #: 546107897
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 7 Dec 1911
Birthplace: MISSOURI
Death Date: 8 Oct 1987
Death Place: SANTA CLARA
Mother's Maiden Name: GLAVIANO
Father's Surname: DAUGENTO

Name: TRAGNI, ROSINA
Social Security #: 0
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 23 Dec 1886
Birthplace: OTHER COUNTRY
Death Date: 9 Feb 1955
Death Place: SANTA CLARA
Mother's Maiden Name: SULLA
Father's Surname: GLAVIANO
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by VaDeb »

1930 Census CA, Santa Clara, Antoine Glaviano, born Italy, born about 1894, AL imigrated 1907

http://img290.echo.cx/img290/5125/tony0fu.jpg

Debbie
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by VaDeb »

User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by VaDeb »

Rose Tragoni 1930 CA Santa Clara,

http://img100.echo.cx/img100/8148/rose19303cq.jpg
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Tony,

I would expect to find ANTOINETTE living with one of her 3 children in 1930, but didn't. Do you know if she was in CA in 1930. Do you agree the information posted above is your family?

Debbie
User avatar
tucker18
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 02 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Placerville, Ca
Contact:

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by tucker18 »

YES YES YES You people are GREAT!!!
ANTOINETTE did come to Santa Clara 1912
Ann's brother Nick was in San Jose sent for Tony Ann's son After Tony settled in San Jose he sent for his mother and his sister Carmela, her husband Frank and their daughter Jenny (Jane Marie Della Maggiore) they arrived in 1912 and lived on Lanzen ave. In 1914 Frank & Carmela bought house at 489 Vendome Ave.
In 1919 Frank died of the Spanish Flu. Carmela re-married in 1920 to Antonio Raccuia (Rock).

Glaviano, Antoinett Sulli= ANN
Rock, Carmela Mary= Carmela
Glaviano, Atanasio= Tony
Della Maggiore, Jane Marie= jenny
Della, jane Marie= Jenny
Tragni, Rosa=Rose

I will ask my dad and see if Ann lived with them or maybe he knows who she lived with>

Thanks again you all are doing a GREAT job!!!!

Tucker18
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by VaDeb »

Ann had a brother named Nick. Nick Sulli, correct?
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by VaDeb »

Found Nicholas Sullion the 1930 census, CA, Santa Clara, age 43, born in Italy, immigarted in 1908, and is PA. Ann is not living with him. This means he has filed a decleration of intent. Have you checked the courts or NARA for this information?

Debboe
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by VaDeb »

Found Nick on the 1920 census in IL. You need to recheck the dates as to when the family moved. STill haven't found mom (ANN) on any census. I have not found an immigration record for the family either. Perhaps it is one that has been lost, or badly misindexed. At least you know where in Italy the family is from so you can continue researching there.

On the 1920 census Nick states he filed his papers in 1919. Wildspirt may have some ideas on where to look besides NARA. She has done research in IL.

1920 Nick
http://img91.echo.cx/my.php?image=nick19205eu.jpg

Debbie
User avatar
tucker18
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 02 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Placerville, Ca
Contact:

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by tucker18 »

They all lived on Lenzen Ave but in 1914 Frank & Carmela bought property at 489 Vendome Ave . Her mother stayed living on Lenzen ave
Renting a room in the cellar. She would go over to one of her childern s homes during the day and cook and clean, then the next she would go over to another home and do the same.
Later I don't know when she moved to the house on Vendome Ave.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by wldspirit »

Website for Jackson county........

THE JACKSON COUNTY COURTHOUSE - Located in downtown Murphysboro, the courthouse (going on our last visit) allows you to search their records "hands on." The County Clerk's office holds vital records (marriage, births, deaths, land, etc.) and the Circuit Clerk's office holds court documents such as wills (recent), naturalization records, divorces, adoptions, juror lists, etc. The charge for copies on our last visit was .25 cents per copied page. The folks here are normally very friendly and are happy to be of assistance as time permits.

http://www.co.jackson.il.us/

Website of interest for Jackson county.....pretty much covers it all........

http://www.iltrails.org/jackson/

hope this helps......
wldspirit
User avatar
tucker18
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 02 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Placerville, Ca
Contact:

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by tucker18 »

I just want to say a big THANK YOU you all did a GREAT job in trying to help me on my quest, again thank you
Tucker18
User avatar
mjvinciguerra
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Mar 2009, 23:36

Re: Ellis Island 2nd try

Post by mjvinciguerra »

Hi Tucker18...

I hope this reaches you...the post is old, so I am shooting in the dark here!

Are you related to paige18 also on this site? Also are you Bert and Ernie Rock's relative??

I am Carmela's son, Bert Rock's Great Niece. Nick Rock is his brother and my grandfather. I live in San Jose.

If you are, please respond. I am very interested in speaking with you!

Here is some information I have that I also sent to paige18. Sorry it is kind of long. But I think you will see we are somehow related!
Thanks,
Marilyn Vinciguerra
___________________________________
OK...I think you are Bob Rock right? I am convinced after 2 posts that we are somehow related. Let's see if our info matches. Or at least comes close.

I too am researching and not finding much on Ancestry.com for the following people related to me:

Antonio Raccuia (Tony Rock) who married Carmela Mary Glaviano. Carmela's mother was Antonina Sulla and father was Nicolo Glaviano.

This is what I have been able to find on Ancestry.com and from a letter written in 1981 by Bert Rock. This is what he remembered. (Some dates are still in question, but it is a start.)

Antonina (Ann) Sulla and Nicolo(a) Glaviano (who was well off in Italy) were married. After they got married Nicolo lost everything. They had 3 children. Tony, Rosa and Carmela.

After losing everything Nicolo worked in coal mines. He eventually died in a mine cave in.

In March 1907 (?) Ann brought Tony and Rosa to the US. I believe she either came with or met her brother Nick (not sure of full name) Sulla. She went to St.Louis Missouri. I believe this was their address: 2016 Horifore (Horiford) Dr/Pl. St. Louis, MO.

Carmela had to stay in Italy due to bad eyes. She stayed 1 yr. with her Aunt and 1 yr. with her Grandmother.

In March 1909 Carmela arrived in the US. She met up with her family in Missouri in early April 1909.

Carmela married Frank Daugento and had daughter Jennie (Jane) 12/7/1911 born in Missouri.

Ann Sulla's brother Tony Sulla lived in San Jose. He sent for Ann (his mom), Carmela, her husband Frank and Jennie in 1912-1913.

When they arrived they lived on Lenzen (near Coleman Ave.). In 1914 they bought a house at 489 Vandome Ave, San Jose, CA. In 1913-1914 they had second daughter Anna (Annie).

Frank Daugento died on I believe 2/8/1919, possibly of the Spanish flu. On the 1920 census Carmela is listed with the 2 girls in San Jose, as head of household.

At age 25 (1915?) Carmela married Antonio Raccuia (Tony Rock), born 12/5/1885 in Montalbano Elicona, Messina Sicily. Tony was 35 at the time. He had originally immigrated from Italy to Buffalo, NY in 1900. He moved to SJ in 1919 (?). He took in Jennie and Annie. In addition they had 2 sons. I am not sure of their birth names but they went by Bert (born 7/26/1921) and Nicholas Joseph Rock (born 5/19/1924).

Annie died at 14 (1928?) of appendicitis.

Tony Raccuia died 4/10/1944 and is buried at Santa Clara Mission Cemetary.

Jennie went on to marry Gino (Geno) Dellamaggiore and have 2 daughters. Kathy and Francie Ann (spelling?).

Bert went on to marry Ernie and had 3 sons and a daughter. Robert, Michael, Ronnie and Terrie. Ronnie passed away from bone cancer.

Nick went on to marry Phyllis Adeline Gregory. They had 1 daughter and 2 sons. Patricia Rock, Richard Lawrence Rock and Timothy Rock.

Richard Rock went on to marry Debbie Lynn Luksich. They are my parents. I am Marilyn Vinciguerra (Rock).

Carmela died 7/3/1981 and is also buried at Santa Clara Mission Cemetary. She still lived on Vandome Ave.
Post Reply