Issues with Grandmum's Bith Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Cissii

Issues with Grandmum's Bith Certificate

Post by Cissii »

My grandmother was birthed by a midwife and no birth certificate was ever recorded for her. I have all other documentations necessary for dual citizenship, as well as her christening papers issued exactly 1 month after her birth. Will this suffice? Is there any other paperwork necessary to verify the validity of the bith date listed on her christening papers?

Please assist and Thank You for your time.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Issues with Grandmum's Bith Certificate

Post by VaDeb »

If you post the year and town of her birth in Italy, you may get a better answer. Generally, in Italy all births were recorded, even if delivered by a midwife.

Debbie
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Cissii wrote:My grandmother was birthed by a midwife and no birth certificate was ever recorded for her. I have all other documentations necessary for dual citizenship, as well as her christening papers issued exactly 1 month after her birth. Will this suffice? Is there any other paperwork necessary to verify the validity of the bith date listed on her christening papers?

Please assist and Thank You for your time.
Was this in Italy or the United States? (Your grandmother's birth I mean)
Cissii

Post by Cissii »

This was in the United States. My link is to my great grandfather, whom I have all the paperwork for. Curiously, all of his children born after my grandmother (the oldest) was filed. It's quite aggrivating as no post-birth certificate may be made due to her recent death (the person must be living to have such created).
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Cissii wrote:This was in the United States. My link is to my great grandfather, whom I have all the paperwork for. Curiously, all of his children born after my grandmother (the oldest) was filed. It's quite aggrivating as no post-birth certificate may be made due to her recent death (the person must be living to have such created).
That's what I thought you meant. I would call the consulate and inquire. Possibly a baptism certificate would suffice, if you could get some sort of Church Apostile from the Bishop or something.