Now I'm thinking I'm going to call when I know there won't be anyone in the office, and leave a message on their answering machine with all the information they need (such as my great grandfather's name/birth date, my name, address, phone number, email, etc).
I don't speak Italian, but I've been learning, and through studying and listening to Italian music and watching Italian movies (both with Italian subtitles to see what I'm hearing), I think I have the phonetics down pretty well. So if anyone could translate this, I think I'll be able say it clearly:
Hello, my name is (my name). I live in the United States.
Over the past year, I've sent multiple letters to this office requesting my great grandfather's birth record. I'm afraid the requests were lost in the mail, which is why I'm contacting you directly. His name was (His name). He was born in (Comune name) in October, 1879. His parents were (father's name) and (mother's name).
I would be very grateful if you could send his "atti di nascita" to (my address). The address is spelled (spell address out phonetically).
Please charge me for any postage and for the certificate.
You can contact me by email at (email address)
Does that work, or do you think it needs re-written? Also, how would I pronounce "@yahoo.com"?
Anyway, a year ago, I would have thought this idea was a bit silly - but I wasn't desperate a year ago
