Searching for Church location in Catania/Marriage Certificat

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jkriss

Searching for Church location in Catania/Marriage Certificat

Post by Jkriss »

Hello,
My husband and I are planning to visit Italy/Sicily in the near future and I have been doing family research for a few years. I have a lot of information but there are many gaps, one of which is finding the Church my parents were married in, I am pretty sure it is St. Guiseppe in Catania (10/30/1948) but cannot locate it online, also in old Italian letters my Mother states that she and my father were actually married prior to this date in a Court - she doesn't say where but it may be in Catania....I don't know where to look next. Any help, advice or informaton would be appreciated - thank you so much!
josie
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Church location in Catania/Marriage Certif

Post by adelfio »

You can try this Catholic Church directory look up Catania and it will give church info
click on prompt
http://www.thecatholicdirectory.com/dir ... country=IT

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Italians must register their marriage in the Comune which I suppose could be considered a 'court'. They then marry in the church at their leisure. My nephews married at City Hall about 2 weeks before the church wedding but the family didn't attend. It was much like our getting a licence.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Jkriss

Post by Jkriss »

I took another look at the certificate I do have and it does say on it: Province of Catania ~ Comune di Ramacca. I have a very old weathered poster that has ~ S. Giuseppe ~ Di Ramacca on it....do you know how to locate the Church? Thank you so much for your help. It makes sense about the Comune being considered a "court".
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

In the Commune of Ramacca there are two parishes, one of them is San Giuseppe. You can find it here:

http://www.comune.ramacca.ct-egov.it/la_città/chiese/

Address:
Parrocchia S. GIUSEPPE
Via Tenente di Fazio, 6/A , RAMACCA 95040 (CT)

The rector is Francesco Messina
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Jkriss

Post by Jkriss »

Pippo,

Thank you for your reply ~ I have visited the website and have sent an email with my parents names to confirm this is the church. Unfortunately, I neither write nor speak Italian so I will wait awhile to see if I get a reply and if not I will work on composing an email in Italian. I noticed you perform genealogical searches, I have been researching my family history for a few years now - both sides come from the same area, Ramacca-Catania-Sicily - do you research this area? My husband and I plan to visit someday but would like to have as much information about my family's past and possibly locate any living relatives. Tell me more about your research business, please! And, many, many thanks again for your reply!
sincerely,
josie paglia kriss