How to apply for copy of Birth Certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

How to apply for copy of Birth Certificate

Post by nancy711 »

I wrote an email (translated for me into Italian) contacting the Stato Civile - Comune di Gaeta for the birth information of my grandmother Matilde Paganelli, born Aug. 25, 1894 in Gaeta (Elena). I received a response confirming the birth and was given a telephone number to call if I wanted to obtain a copy of the birth certificate. Unfortunately, I do not speak Italian and don't know anyone who speaks well enough to be able to communicate my needs properly to this office.I sent another email to that office, but never received a response (I am told that the offices do not like to respond to document requests via emails).
Is there some other way, other than calling, to obtain a copy of this Birth Certificate. Or can someone recommend a service in Italy that I could contact to purchase a copy for me?
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Re: How to apply for copy of Birth Certificate

Post by rancelli »

that stinks...i wonder if they would respond if you wrote to them via postal mail?

here is the address for gaeta

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Gaeta
04024 GAETA LT
ITALY

Gaeta-Town name
Latina-Province
04024-Cap code

this site will translate everything to english. all you have to do is fill in the information of your ancestor.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

maybe also explain to them that you decided to write to them instead because you're not able to speak italian.
Harleygrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Harleygrrl »

I would also recommend writing by post; some of the older smaller comuni may not be able to produce a digital image suitable for emailing. The request to phone them may have come from their wish to mail it to you and get your mailing address. Good luck!
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

Thanks for the response...I will try writing again, both email and postal.
nancy711
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nancy711 »

I have been trying for almost 6 months now to obtain my Grandmother's birth certificate or perhaps adoption papers. While in America, my Grandmother always went under the maiden name of Anna Ranucci, born in Gaeta. However, the passenger manifest in which she is listed immigrating to America lists her name as Matilde Paganelli. I wrote to Geata City Hall and received confirmation of the birth of Matilde Paganelli on Aug. 24, 1894. I have since written (in Italian) and sent via email and then postal service a request to obtain her birth certificate (and now I am thinking perhaps adoption papers). I have received no responses. In the letter I said I was willing to pay whatever fees are necessary for this information, but again, never received a response.

I would also like to obtain, if possible, death certificates in Gaeta for her "parents" Cosmo Ranucci (born approx. 1872, immigrated 1904, went back to Italy for last time in 1925), and Annunciata Prestagiovanni (don't know her approx. birth or death. But according to Boston, MA Marriage Register in 1912, Cosmo was a widower, marrying for the 2nd time). And I would also like to obtain, if possible, the death certificate of my Grandmother's Stepmother who was her "mother's" sister, Civita Prestagiovanni (born approx. 1862, immigrated 1912, and went back to Italy with Cosmo for the last time in 1925).

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Don't confuse the issue by asking for adoption papers. Italian babies were rarely formally adopted as we understand it and if the birth certificate does not name either parent their names won't be written anywhere else. Abandonment of babies is completely anonymous, even today.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.