Italian Residency After you get Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Residency After you get Citizenship

Post by grandpa77 »

This sounds very backwards however there are many on this board who have Italian Citizenship but not residency.

I know with citizenship I can be a resident in italy.

However how can I prove Italian residency after I get my Italian Passport? Is there a residency card Italians get ? Drivers License or something like that ?

The reason why I'm asking is because it's better to be a resident and citizen of italy when entering other countries so I would like to get residency documents if it's not that hard.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian Residency After you get Citizenship

Post by kontessa »

To obtain official residency, you must register as a resident in an Italian comune. To register as a resident, you would provide proof to the comune that you are actually living in an apartment, house, room - whatever is considered your home. A registered rental contract, proof of home ownership, etc.. Do some research about the times associated with residency in order to actually be considered a legal resident, and the tax implications associated with the time spent residing in one location versus your other location. I believe that you can be resident in one country and be resident for tax purposes in another, but I don't know a lot about the fine print...and when it comes to taxes, you may want to be clear about the differences. Do some searcing on expatsinitaly and post an inquiry.

Once registered as a resident, you can get a carta d'identita. This may be the identity card that you mentioned. If you want an Italian driving license, I suggest you read some of the threads on expatsinitaly - it's not a simple conversion of a stateside license to an Italian one.

What exactly do you mean by it being 'better to be a resident of Italy when entering other countries'?
grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Post by grandpa77 »

Thanks for the answer

What exactly do you mean by it being 'better to be a resident of Italy when entering other countries'?

When traveling you have more visa free options if you're both a citizen and resident of Italy.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Residency is something a person has when he lives in a certain place. If he does not live in Italy, he cannot have residency in Italy whether or not he's an Italian citizen. If you want to be an Italian resident, you would have to move over there and be physically present.

And yes, it would be easier to get a Visa for certain countries if you lived in Italy because you would have met the requirements for a National ID card. Everyone living LEGALLY in the European Union has one.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

.....Do some research about the times associated with residency in order to actually be considered a legal resident, and the tax implications associated with the time spent residing in one location versus your other location. I believe that you can be resident in one country and be resident for tax purposes in another,.....

I didn't notice that he asked about any tax implications. He merely wants to know if he can be a resident of Italy without living there because he has an Italian passport and the answer is no, he cannot.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

I know a number of Italians who are resident in one Italian comune but who choose to live in another. I also know several Italians who have residency in Italy, but who live and work in Brussels. The fact that tax implications were mentioned in response to the original question was for the purpose of illustrating that one may indeed have residency in two separate locations. Also, time spent actually living (physically being present) in each location is important and may affect actual residency. It IS possible to maintain residency in Italy (with a time constratint for actually being physically present) while also living in a different location. My recommendation to research the topic to fully understand the time constraints associated with residency stands.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

.....I know a number of Italians who are resident in one Italian comune but who choose to live in another.....

As do I, mainly my relatives on all four sides of the family. When living with their parents, they held residence in the same Comune as the parents. When they got married and moved to other cities in Italy or anywhere else in the European Union, they held residence in that city ONLY unless they personally maintained a home/apartment in the previous place of residence or some other location. Maintaining a home in an additional comune/city means being the owner of the property or the legal tenant.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

jennabet wrote: When living with their parents, they held residence in the same Comune as the parents. When they got married and moved to other cities in Italy or anywhere else in the European Union, they held residence in that city ONLY unless they personally maintained a home/apartment in the previous place of residence or some other location. Maintaining a home in an additional comune/city means being the owner of the property or the legal tenant.
Only and unless used in the same phrase seems to contradict what you are actually trying to say - you can't have it both ways. All double-speak aside, it IS possible to be resident in two different locations, doesn't matter if you own a home or rent.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

.....All double-speak aside, it IS possible to be resident in two different locations, doesn't matter if you own a home or rent.....

Well then, please give us an example of how this is so -- leaving out information which pertains to foreign students and EU citizens from other EU countries, as you seem to confuse these categories with Italian-Americans, Italian-Canadians, etc. who are seeking ITALIAN citizenship. Remember, this IS an Italian citizenship forum.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

jennabet wrote:Well then, please give us an example of how this is so -- leaving out information which pertains to foreign students and EU citizens from other EU countries, as you seem to confuse these categories with Italian-Americans, Italian-Canadians, etc. who are seeking ITALIAN citizenship. Remember, this IS an Italian citizenship forum.
I don't believe that I made note of any nationality other than Italian.
I thank you for bringing to my attention that the forum deals with Italian citizenship.
For an example, I already mentioned that there are Italians living in one comune while maintaining residency at another comune in Italy, and also that there are Italians living outside of Italy while maintaining residency at a comune in Italy.