Hello,
I am reading Italian records from Lungro, Cosenza, Calabria....and after each male's name is what I think is a decriptive term, but when I use my Goggle translation tool, I get nothing really useful.
Can you help with the meaning of these words(usually found after a comma, after the man's name in a birth, death, marriage record:
bracciale
calzolaio
vaticale
campagnolo = farmer?
zappatore
filatrice, after a woman's name
Thank you !
Marcia Sugumele
Help with Italian
Re: Help with Italian
They are the person's profession. I had a list which I am still trying to hunt down. If I find it, I will post it for you.
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Re: Help with Italian
Here is a list that may help.
Bracciale/ Bracciante or Day Laborer
Agricoltore/Farmer
Villico/ Farmer
Colono/ Tenant Farmer
Massaro/ Manager of Country Estate
The Transumanza
Pastore/Pecoraio or Shepherd
Cartolano or Wool Carder
Filalana/ Filatrice or Spinner
Molinaro/Muglinaio or Miller
Pastaio or Pasta Maker
Panettiere or Breadmaker
Escaiolo or Mushroom Picker
Carbonaio or Coal Seller
Calzolaio or the Cobbler
Barilaro or Barrel Maker
Caldararo/Ramaio or Coppersmith
Falegname or Carpenter
Ferraro or Ironsmith/Blacksmith
Bettoliere or Tavern Keeper
Melaro/Honey Dealer
Panniere/ Seller of Cloths and Linens
Trafficante/Dealer or Merchant
Vaticale/Carrier of Various Merchandise
Bracciale/ Bracciante or Day Laborer
Agricoltore/Farmer
Villico/ Farmer
Colono/ Tenant Farmer
Massaro/ Manager of Country Estate
The Transumanza
Pastore/Pecoraio or Shepherd
Cartolano or Wool Carder
Filalana/ Filatrice or Spinner
Molinaro/Muglinaio or Miller
Pastaio or Pasta Maker
Panettiere or Breadmaker
Escaiolo or Mushroom Picker
Carbonaio or Coal Seller
Calzolaio or the Cobbler
Barilaro or Barrel Maker
Caldararo/Ramaio or Coppersmith
Falegname or Carpenter
Ferraro or Ironsmith/Blacksmith
Bettoliere or Tavern Keeper
Melaro/Honey Dealer
Panniere/ Seller of Cloths and Linens
Trafficante/Dealer or Merchant
Vaticale/Carrier of Various Merchandise
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Re: Help with Italian
Website for Italian occupations
click on prompt
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ngocc.html
Marty
click on prompt
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ngocc.html
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
- pdchenderson13
- Rookie

- Posts: 98
- Joined: 13 Feb 2011, 17:58
Re: Help with Italian
Hi Oilman, and Adelfio.....These are amazing......and so different from todays professions......They do bring very nostalgic images to mind....
My father grew up in Canicatti, and I have many stories of the time he spent with the shomaker!
Thank you for this information.
My father grew up in Canicatti, and I have many stories of the time he spent with the shomaker!
Thank you for this information.
Grazie Patrizia
Re: Help with Italian
Thanks to everyone who posted....the lists will a great help to me as I continue my research!
Marcia
Marcia
