looking for sciarini and matasci (matasic

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 61 persons surnamed Sciarini in Italy 85% are located in the Lombardia region and around Varese province. If you go to wwwellisisland.org and locate the Giuseppe Sciarini (there are only abut 8) who is related to you then you can find the town of origin in Italy and all kinds of info are avialbne thereafter. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is no name Matsci or Matasci. sorry. Peter
Sonogno

Re: looking for sciarini and matasci (matasic

Post by Sonogno »

Yes, the spelling is correct. The surname Matasci (my wife's maiden name) is originating from the village of Sonogno in the Italian speaking canton of Ticino, southern Switzerland.

My records include Maria Anna Carmela MATASCI, christened on 30 Jul 1893 in Sonogno. She got married to a non identified SCIARINI and emigrated to the U.S. where they got 2 children, a boy and a girl. From the Ellis Island records I found the S.S. New York, sailing from Southampton and Cherbourg on 18 Mar 1920, arrival 23 Mar 1920, listing Joseph S. Sciarini, 38 years, and his wife Mary, 24 years. In spite of the non matching year of birth, I strongly believe that this is the couple we are looking for.

Please let me have some more details so that we can get the links together.

Kind regards from Switzerland,
Ronald
Working on the genealogy of the families MATASCI, GIANETTONI, SONOGNINI, PELUCCA, PEROZZI and others originating from Sonogno, canton Ticino, the Italian speaking part of Switzerland
krismays

Re: looking for sciarini and matasci (matasic

Post by krismays »

Hello,

This couple ended up in the Bay Area of California. For more information, please see the California Birth and Death Index links at www.sfgenealogy.com