great-grandparents birth certificates from Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
basho23

great-grandparents birth certificates from Italy

Post by basho23 »

Hi

I am starting the process of obtaining Italian citizenship through jus sanguinis and having trouble finding where to write for my great-grandparents birth and marriage certificates in Italy. They were both born and married in San Ferdinando di Puglia - my great-grandfather in 1887 and great-grnadmother 1890. Unfortunately, I do not know exactly when they were married. I know from my great-grandfather's death certificate they were married in San Ferdinando di Puglia before he immigrated to the US in 1914...

My trouble is San Fernidando di Puglia was moved a year or two ago from its former region Foggia to the new region Barletta-Andria-Trani. So, I am not sure where these records are currently being held...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Lou
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: great-grandparents birth certificates from Italy

Post by liviomoreno »

The records are kept at Comune level, you may write to:

Comune di San Ferdinando di Puglia
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Isonzo 6
76017 San Ferdinando di Puglia BT
Italia

The birth record should also hold an annotation with the marriage date. In any case you can ask them to search the marriage record in the time-frame 1906-1914.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

liviomoreno wrote:The records are kept at Comune level, you may write to:

Comune di San Ferdinando di Puglia
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Isonzo 6
76017 San Ferdinando di Puglia BT
Italy

The birth record should also hold an annotation with the marriage date. In any case you can ask them to search the marriage record in the time-frame 1906-1914.
basho23

Post by basho23 »

livio,

i really appreciate your help and quick response. i will be sending my letter to the comune tomorrow.

best regards,

lou
dalemma

Post by dalemma »

I faxed mine, to a really little town in RC, they got back to me quicker than most states. My 2 cents